35. Dear Old Town

I sat down on the couch and turned on the TV. Anthony and Antonio were doing something private in one of the other rooms and apparently I wasn't allowed to know what they were talking about, though this was all about me.

I shifted channel and ended up in the middle of the local news. The news lady was just finishing something about a new road there was soon going to be made in downtown. As I was about to shift channel, the lady spoke.

"Not long ago, our towns own lawyer Charlotte Watson's husband John Watson was arrested at his own house and taken away by the police. It's heard that Mrs. Watson what present at the time the police arrested Mr. Watson, however, the reason of this sudden arrest is still unknown and I'll return with more details as soon as we get them. Now, let's go over to you Jennifer and hear about the weather."

The lady smiled and quickly the picture shifted to another smiling lady, but before she could say anything, I turned the TV off and leaned back on the couch totally stunned.

Now everybody knew. They knew how wrecked our family was and the endless stares would become even more endless. However, I had done this for a reason and I knew this was the consequence, but that still didn't make it less painful.

I shook my head and buried it in my sweaty hands.

What would happen when Liam discovered this?

My head snapped up and looked out the window. Liam. He didn't know. What if he heard it from some person there wasn't me. That would hurt him.

I stood from the couch. "Anthony!" I yelled and walked through the corridor him and his brother disappeared down minutes ago. "Anthony! Antonio! I need your help!" I walked around and yelled their name, but there came no response. I came back to the kitchen and leaned against the sink.

What was I going to do? I had to tell Liam. He deserved it.

My gaze traveled over to the door with the pain stained door handle. I slowly walked towards it, keeping my eyes on the handle. What was behind?

When my hand touched the cold metal I jumped a little back. What if I wasn't allowed to be in there. What if Anthony will get mad?

I took a deep breath.

It's just a room.

I laid my hand on the handle again and slowly opened the door wide. The room was dark, with all the curtains covering the windows and the light shifted off. I stepped in and half closed the door after me. My hand traveled along the wall to find the light switch and as soon as it found it, I turned on the light.

Every wall was covered in different sizes and colored paintings. Each and everyone had a name placed right under them and in the corner of the paintings, two letters were written.

A.M

In the middle, a painting setup was placed and shined in the light from the lamp. A small wood chair was in front of the half-finished canvas. Everything smelled like chemicals. Cleaning chemicals, paint chemicals, and even a plastic smell reached my little nose. With wide eyes and mouth, I slowly walked towards the painting. The paint clutter stuck underneath my shoes, but I still didn't bother to watch where I was going. Not even when it began to feel slimy.

As I came closer I could slowly see what it imagined.

I stood in front of it and briskly clasped my hand over my mouth.

In front of me, on the canvas, a half-finished portrait of me sitting on a bench was painted. I looked beautiful and every stroke was so gentle, with a curvy yet straight look to them. The strokes were a little smudged as if he also had used his hands to gently give them a more blurred look. They seemed stable on the surface but broken between the lines; like me. Actually, just like me. I smiled a fine, small, white smile. I didn't know how he could make it look so real, but it was amazing. It gave me hope. Hope that one day I could smile like that in real life. Hope that my life was more than chaos and dark shadows.