50. They Do Love Me

I remembered to eat something before I went to bed yesterday and now, today, I was still sitting in my bed, even though the clock had turned twelve AM.

The door opened, but I didn't bother turning my head to look over at who it was. "Nina, my dear, what are you still doing in here?" Gabriella asked as I sighed deeply.

"Just relaxing," I told her, even though she probably didn't believe me the slightest. I had never been good at lying.

"Oh honey, I know this is hard." She crawled up on the bed beside me and sat down. "Just remember that you can tell me anything, Honey. I'm here for you." She smiled sweetly, her eyes sparkling with youth.

"Anything?"

"Absolute."

I took a deep breath and put my hair behind my ears. "Why did you steal my brother?"

So, right there, I said it and for once, I didn't regret opening my mouth or maybe even hurting someone because of the truth.

For a moment, I couldn't hear her breath and the silence cut through me like a knife. Her legs gently folded as she repositioned herself. "How do you know?" She asked quietly.

"You didn't answer my question."

She took a deep breath. "No, I didn't, because I'm mostly ashamed of what I did."

"Ashamed? Well okay, please explain further. I want to hear your story before I judge or do anything to anyone," I told her calmly, trying to keep everything inside. Even my emotions.

She gulped. "First, when we figured out that they were with child, we wanted to take the child out of revenge, nothing else. However, as we found out about their living situation, our motivations slowly changed and though we still wanted revenge, we needed to get that child out of that environment."

"If you're the good ones, then why didn't you do it legally and you still let both Liam and I stay in that house. Why?"

"When they three years after got your brother, they had control over their lives and we didn't interfere with them and your mother was working hard on becoming a good lawyer."

"I don't understand! You stole a baby! My brother! My parent's son!" I jumped down from the bed and strolled over to look out the window. My eyes found the bench where I had talked with Luis the other day. A swirling in my stomach made me realize how bad I felt about yelling at Luis mother. He had kinda helped me yesterday and I should maybe repay a little of it like this.

"Nina, I'm so sorry, I...I... I just cared too much for your mother to let her have Antonio," she said low.

My breath got stuck in my throat and I didn't dare turn around to look at her. Only a single tear dripped down my chin as I spoke. "What do you mean?"

"I... I," she gulped.

"You what?" I snapped out of intention as I turned around and faced her, her eyes meeting mine.

"Your mother wasn't ready to become a mother and neither was your father ready to become a father. They were young, very young and a child would only make their situation worse. I loved your mother as a sister and even though our age may be different and I was mad at her for so long, she was my best friend. She supported me when I began dating Joseph and when we got married, but I never supported her, when she finally found the one there was meant for her. I just hid, because I was afraid of your father."

"It has been twenty-six years, Gabriella. You are all adults and shouldn't you be able to talk it out or something?" I asked, as the paranoid girl I was. Talk it out? Seriously, something like that couldn't just be talked out. But I said it and I couldn't change it.