54. Love Is Love

I silently watched the blinking streetlamp. The yellowish light reflected in my window were it was smudged by the rain dripping down the glass. A single car drove past, it's lights dashing in the puddles along the road. The driver drove too fast, I could see that perfectly from my position, and then, my observing skills weren't bad. I glanced around, to my surprise, no light other than the working streetlamps was in sight on the villa road. 

My computer was in front of me, my story's words displaying on the screen. I was stuck. For once in my life, I was stuck and didn't know what to do at all. My thoughts were on another road than writing and I had to accept that for now. 

I closed my computer and stood with a sigh. Just like the darkness, my walls, keeping me stuck, was never-ending.

I strolled out the door and turned down the hallway. The boys voices could be heard. They were laughing loudly; enjoying themselves. Even though the secret about Antonio had been released, they could still enjoy themselves. 

I had, on the other hand, locked myself in my room after the meeting with my psychologist, who had once again made me realize something new. She was good, I had to admit that and I almost wished that I didn't hate talking to her.

I peeked inside the so-called "Man Cave". The clock on the wall just shoved that it was over midnight.

My birthday. 

Francisco spun his head towards me, eyes stretching. "Nina? Are you still awake?" 

"Yeah, couldn't sleep." I tried to smile but slipped.

"Are you still stuck on your book?" Anthony asked, stepping in sight. 

"Yes." 

He nodded, knowing I wouldn't say much more.

"Nina." My brother, Liam, walked up to me and pulled me into a hug. 

"Huh?" I exclaimed. 

"Happy birthday Nina!"

Oh no. 

"Why haven't you told us?" All the Martinezs said almost at the same time. 

"I... I." I pulled a little away. I hated my birthday and for many years had it just been overseen, like it wasn't there.  

"We haven't even had time to plan anything!" Francisco was the first, and only, to go into a panicked state. 

"Take it easy Cisco, no one is planning a party. She obviously doesn't want one." Luis talked steadily and had it been an argument with a normal person, it would probably have ended in his favor, but Francisco wasn't a normal person. 

"Who doesn't want a party?" He jumped up in the air towards me. "Anyway, happy birthday, Nina... Uhm, sorry for asking, but how old is it you're turning?" Luis instantly slapped him on his shoulder. "Ouch!"

"She's turning nineteen your fool," Luis said and slapped him again. "Which you clearly should know since she's family now!" 

Family? 

They really considered me that?

"I know, but what's even worse is that I haven't even bought a present yet!" Francisco glided his hands down his cheeks and glanced up at the clock. "Maybe I can still order that Ferrari I declined yesterday!"

"Cisco I-"

"You don't have to buy me anything," I interrupted Luis and took a step towards Francisco. "Staying here, having my father in jail, and being called family is enough for me." I took his hand and lightly squeezed it.