40. Let The Trial Begin

Tired raindrops gently dripped down the surface of the car window. My hand lightly followed them as they mingled with each other and ended up at the bottom of the window. The sun was hiding behind the gray and boring clouds and just like in movies, nothing seemed to be bright.

I glanced over at Anthony who sat beside me, looking straight forward at the road. He was a good driver and it seemed like he knew the car like his own pocket. His jaw was tensed slightly and his hands curled tightly around the steering wheel. They had even turned white.

He turned right down a smaller road and I could just see the massive building at the end. I placed my hands on my lap and curled them together, biting my lip hard.

"How are you feeling," Anthony asked.

"I don't know." I shifted my gaze down upon my lap.

"I understand," he whispered and pressed down the speeder so the building became clearer and clearer until we were parked right in front of it and it towered over us, with his marvelous marble. Anthony's house was amazing, but this building was in another league. The way the crystal windows reflected the sun and casted shadows, stunned me to the bone. A lady walked out the wooden doors with a robot smile on her face.

"You must be Mr. Anthony, the one who is leading the child abuse case against Mr. Watson," she said and extended her hand.

Anthony took it. "Yes, that's me." He quickly looked over her shoulder, where Antonio came walking towards us. "And this is my attorney, Mr. Antonio Martinez, who will represent me and my the victim, Miss Watson." Anthony pointed at Antonio behind her and she quickly turned around and extended her hand towards Antonio.

"Mr. Maritnez, nice to meet you, we have only heard good things about you and your company."

"Thank you," Antonio answered and glanced over at me. I was frozen to the spot, debating if I should say something or just follow the crowd.

"I expect that you know the protocol and that there will be no difficulties as we carry this trial out."

"I have done this before, so don't worry, miss."

"Well." She turned to look at me and Anthony again. "Follow me inside, the trial is scheduled to begin in half an hour."

We all followed her inside and to be honest, it all went away in a blur. We walked through room after room, one more marvelous than the other. When we finally stopped in front of a door the lady left us.

Everyone talked to me, however, not a single word registered in my mind. Time just went by, like I was floating in space. Nothing happened, but there still happened so much. Person after Person walked into the room and I only gave them a quick glance, not caring who they were and why they were here.

My eyes glanced up at Anthony, who repeatedly ran his hand through his hair and only walked few steps forward before he turned around and walked the opposite way.

"You're making me nervous," I said, making him stop and look towards me.

"Me?" He pointed at his own chest while learning a bit forward.

"Yes. Just sit down or something for a second. You looking nervous makes me nervous." I leaned back in my chair and folded my arms over my chest, biting my lips.

"Oh." He fell down in a chair. "Sorry." He ran a lazy hand through his hand again.

"It's okay, I think I'm just paranoid about all of this. You know, seeing my dad again and having my whole family together in one room." I rested my head on the wall behind me. "Why doesn't this feel right? Like I ain't suppose to be here."