Anthony Part 1

28. Papers Weigh Too Much/29. I fell

It was hard to come the last way to the door, but when I finally knocked on the door and let myself lean against the wall to wait for someone to open, I was relieved. I had survived and now I only needed someone to open. Actually not someone, but the one.

I waited minutes and as I was about to knock again, the door opened and I met his green eyes. He stared in shock down at me, because here I stood. I had just shown up at his doorstep soaking wet, bruised, and covered in crimson blood.

"What the hell." He looked up and down at me and opened the door wide.

I smiled. "Help." With that, I fell towards him and let the darkness consume me. The last thing I knew was that a pair of strong arms caught me and I felt a little safer.

Anthony's P.O.V

"Nina?" I asked frantically and drew her with me inside the house. I sustained her with one arm and closed the door shut with the other, keeping the cold outside. Thoughtfully, I bent down to the ground and settled her in my lap. "Nina! Talk to me!"

I drove my fingers through my hair. "Shit..."

I elevated my hand out in front of me. It was twinkling with a deep red color.

Blood.

"God damn it!" I raised her up in my arms again, gently and steadily. I took deep pants. The whole way down in my stomach, even though my mind was going insane.

She was fucking bleeding!

"Okay... okay." I whisked her hair out of her face as I transferred her to my car. "It's going to be okay." I had no idea if I was trying to calm myself or her, but since she was unconscious, it was probably me.

Opening the car door and holding her at the same time wasn't easy at all and the pattering rain didn't help at all. Nevertheless, I got her inside the car and dashed over to the other side and sprang into my car. I snatched a glance over at her. Her skin was pasty; paler than normal and a few trickles of blood hastened down the surface of her face.

My heart struck against my chest; almost shredding a hole.

I hurried down the road, sweat gliding down my forehead and my eyes catching small peeks at Nina at safe times.

She was breathing, I could hear it. It was peaceful as if she was deep asleep. Safe and sound.

But she wasn't.

We drove past the old church. From the corner of my eye, a blonde girl slid out through the doors, her face concealed in the shadows.

I blinked and shook my head, concentrating on the road instead of the girl. I swallowed and rolled down the last few roads, before pulling up to the hospital. I parked right in front of the door, as illegal as possible.

Nina's breathing was slowly fading, her chest raising slower and slower and her skin transforming into white sheets.

Hold on, Nina.

I rolled over the front of my car and carried her out of my car in a hurry. She was light and my feet strolled effortlessly over the ground.