43. Family Drama

My mom stood from her seat once again. I was getting tired of the routine of sitting, standing and then sitting and standing again. When would this be over? When would my father be sat behind bars? 

"Miss Meztil, how could you remember Nina Watson?" 

"It's a small town and we do not get many patients there aren't old people, so it becomes easier to remember people when they are young. Their faces stand out a bit more. And also since her X-rays was kind of different I remembered her better." 

"Okay, and you're sure that the girl who is sitting there is the one who came in with the mark on her skin and with the broken leg?"

"Yes, look," Lara zoomed in on the picture, so you could see the name on the top. And as predicted, my name stood cleary. "Isn't that the victim's name?"

"Indeed it is. Thank you, I'm done." My mom returned to her chair, slamming her fists down on the table. I followed her close as she leaned over and whispered something in my father's ear, which he for a moment thought about before he answered.

Lara walked down from the stand and back to her place in the back of the court. After her testimony, my heart felt a little lighter and I could finally breathe naturally, but still not become totally calm. My nerves was still playing with me and keeping me on the edge.

"Your honor, I have something I would like to say," my mom said.

"Please tell us, Mrs. Watson." We all sat on the edge of our seat to hear what she had to say, 'cause we could feel the bomb was about to explode, at least I could.

"As you can see, it is the Martinez family, trying to persecute my client for child abuse against his own child. They want to put him away and take his daughter away from him-"

"That is not true, my client and his family do only wish to put a guilty man behind bars," Antonio interrupted and shoot up from his seat.

"That's a lie, Mr. Martinez, why else would his own daughter turn against him, if not under influence of the most powerful family in the whole city and maybe even state," my mom argued back, standing herself.

"She is not turning against him, she is deciding to break free of his abusive prison and that has been hard for and it has been even harder for her to sit here today and speak freely about it. Think about that for a second, will you."

"I can assure you that that is not the case. My client hasn't raised a single hand to his daughter, which he and I have repeated many times throughout this trial and I cannot believe that you're still trying to persecute this man. Haven't your family taken enough for us... for him already." And what I believed to be a tear slowly dripped down my mother's cheek as she stared at Antonio like he was a ghost. My mom crying was a rare sight and as quickly as the tears had begun to drip, they were ripped away. 

"I do not understand, Mrs. Watson, I can assure you that the Martinez family has taken nothing from you nor your client and surely this doesn't have anything to do with the case I presume." Antonio tilted his head, regaining the calm and natural voice of a lawyer. He believed he had the advantage. 

"This has everything to do with the case, I can assure you, Mr. Martinez. Your client may not be the one behind it, but you and him are talking for your whole family-"

"And Nina, we're also talking for Nina, who if I may add, is the victim in this case and last time I checked, it had nothing to do with something the Martinez family stole from you, if they stole anything at all."

"You're good with words, just like your mother." Everyone's heads snapped towards my father, there calmly sat in his chair, with his hands folded on the table.