28. Papers Weigh Too Much

Janie pushed the door open in front of me and held it open for me. "Thanks," I mumbled, which she replied to with a shrug of her shoulders and walked further into her shop. I stayed by the door and glanced around in the familiar setting. The only thing different was that fewer things stood on the shelves. 

"Why are you standing there? Come in," Janie said and waved her hand at me and emptied her pockets on the desk. 

I hesitated before I walked further into the shop and let my eyes travel over the many beautiful things in the shop, which she almost never sold anyway. 

Janie signaled for me to follow her into the room in the back and I did it. Dust swirled around the air and the tickling in my nose began before I could stop it and soon I threw my head forward in an intense sneeze, which almost made me fall on my end. 

Janie stopped walking in front of me and turned around. "What the hell kind of noise was that?" she asked and tilted her head. 

"I sneezed." 

"Sweetie, that was not a sneeze," she said and turned around again and placed her hands beside her body as she walked further into another room. 

We walked in silence and when we entered a dark office and Janie shifted on the lights, she hurried over to the brown desk and searched through the drawers violently. "It has to be here somewhere." 

I glanced at the ceiling. "So, err, why am I here again?" 

She sighed and looked up from the drawers. "I need you to deliver something to your father. I kind of owns him a favor," she explained and returned to the drawers and even threw a pencil over her shoulder. 

I didn't know why I was still there, but it was like her influence over me were in a bad category. The fortunes weren't in my favors, but I still stayed in her shop and didn't move. 

"Here it is!" She lifted a couple of pieces of paper up in the air and smiled a half smile before making eye contact with me. 

"What is it?" I stepped a bit closer to her with my eyes focused on the papers in her hand. 

"Sorry, little miss Watson, but I can't tell you anything, your father made me promise," she said and looked through the papers to make sure it was the right ones. Her eyes glanced up at me. "Do you promise not to look through these?" 

"Uhm-"

"No don't answer that, of course, you are gonna read them. Who wouldn't?" She threw her arms in the air and swirled around. "Anyway, I think I can trust you, Watson, so just take them." She reached the papers over for me to take, but the only thing I did was stare at them intensely and tilt my head. Was she serious? 

"Why aren't you doing anything?" she asked and bowed and moved under my head to look up into my eyes. 

I jumped away and shook my head. Without a word I reached out and took the papers from her hands and examined them in my own hands. Nothing was written on the outside and I didn't dare try to read what was possible on the inside. 

"Now I'll drive you home, so see if you can keep up," she said as she walked past me, letting a wind drive around me before I got a hang of what was happening. 

I followed her out of her shop and watched her silently lock her shop after us and open her car. I tightened my grip on the papers and as much as possible without curling them too much. Dad would probably be mad about that. 

As I sat in her car and looked down at my papers in my lap she sang the song on the radio. She turned left down our road and turned off the radio. I felt her eyes on me. "I heard your mom got fired. That sucks," she said and stopped in front of my house.