60. The Beginning Of The End

The mirror shone with nothing but the gloom of my dress. Gabriella had fastened my hair in a secure bun, really bringing my features forwards. That was what she said earlier, I hope she's right. The dress just reached the spot right under my knees, being tight and stretchy it really made me have a bit of curve. Not that it mattered anyway.

I twisted to the left, then right. Something bothered me, I just couldn't put words on it. I twisted again. Then again and again. I groaned. This wasn't right and everything had to be. It was my mother's funeral. Nothing was supposed to be unperfect. I threw my hands down along my sides, dodging away from the mirror. 

I strolled towards the window, my hand rubbing against my forehead. "Deep breathes, Nina. Deep breathes." As I tried to take my own advice, two people walked around in the garden, talking silently amongst each other.

I leaned against the part of the wall there lined up to the window. It was slightly open, bringing in a frosty wind. "Have you told her yet?" one of the men asked. I couldn't recognize them from the back, but their hair color identified them as either, Francisco, Luis, Manuel or Anthony.

"No, but I will." The first man grabbed the other mans wrist, stopping them in their strolling. "After the funeral of course."

"This is not a light matter, Anthony. I hope you understand."

Anthony?

"I know, but her mother's funeral isn't either, so let's work through that first."

"You're right about that matter, but not long after she has to know that her father is in the hospital." They curved towards each other, the sides of their face showing. Manuel's glasses were the first thing popping out. Why was my father in the hospital?

"I know, but to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if she wouldn't care at all. That man is insane. He can't even be called a man anymore because no man would lay a single finger on his own flesh and blood." Anthony turned his head as soon as his sentence had stopped. I a hurry, I spun around and tipped against the wall, out of his sight.

My heart beamed against my chest as if it tried to tear a hole. "What the hell just happened?" I asked myself, placing my hand right over my heart and closing my eyes shut.

A knock disturbed my unpleasant thoughts and made me open my eyes again. "Come in!" I yelled in return for the friendly knock.

The door opened and in walked Antonio, wearing a black suit and a pleasant white shirt underneath tied together with an even blacker tie. "You look good," I told him, folding my hands in front of me and strolled closer to him. "Do you want anything?"

"I just wanted to talk. Our conversation at the hospital was nice and calm, but I haven't really had the chance to talk with you about us being brother and sister." He scratched his neck, avoiding my gaze.

I shrugged. "I guess not, however, right now I don't think that this is the time for us to talk about that. My mom's funeral is in an hour and I can't say that I am in the right stage of mind to talk about anything."

"I understand that, but there are so many questions there have been controlling my mind the last couple of days. I've talked with Liam about it, but he never really had any answers and now... Charlotte is dead. Shouldn't I be affected by that?"

"No, you shouldn't. She wasn't your mother, only the one who protected a man who abused your friend. Gabriella is your mother. It had been a different story if she had died. Don't forget that, Antonio. Gabriella is your mother, not Charlotte." I gave him a half-hearted smile.

"Thanks, but maybe after this, we should talk. I still must go back to the city and collect my stuff from my former home. You know, Sofia has chosen to move back to her hometown in Virginia, we haven't talked much, but her parents are nice people and have apologized thousands of times on her behalf." He shook his hand as he ran a hand through his hair. "I still don't understand that and then with all of this on top of it... it kind of sets my mind into overdrive."