59. Sinners Or Saints

"How are you doing?" Liam asked by my side, holding my hand.

"I don't know. Mrs. Hamilton gave me a good description, but there is still something missing."

He squeezed it tighter and single tear wetted my hand. "What is it? Can I help you find it?"

"She gave me a gift when we talked. It was in a square packet. Do you know where it is?" I asked him, catching his glazed eyes.

"Maybe Anthony have it. Shall I find it for you?"

"Yes, please, that would be nice." I croaked a fake smile forward from very deep inside.

He shook his head. "You don't have to fake smile to make me feel better. Our mother died and you've all the right to grief." He stroked my hair away from my sweating temples. "I'll be back in a few minutes and I think Antonio wants to see you soon."

He let go of my hand and strolled towards the closed door. As he grabbed the doorknob, I unfolded my mouth. "You're hurt too, aren't you?"

He sighed. "Yes, very, I loved our mother no matter what. She just left, just like that. No longer in my life, as I wanted." He said it without turning and who could blame him. He just told me he loved the one who had watched his sister get abused by their father.

"You know, at some point, you and I both have to realize that some people aren't supposed to live I our lives, but in our hearts."

"Thanks, I needed that." He cracked the door open. "Now let me find that box for you. I'll be back in a minute." He closed the door shut after him.

I glanced out into the wildness of the city again. Everything appeared fine with cluttered rain dripping down the window and with a soft northern breeze accompanying it to make the trees dance.

Though the sun was nowhere in sight, I knew that it couldn't slip from the sky and soon enough, it would carry its light forward again to brighten up this earth as it always had done.

As I gawked into the unknown, my mind began overthinking. What if I was wrong about the gift? I shook my head violently. No, I wasn't going to overthink things right now, because sometimes it's best to not think at all, not imagine or wonder, and not obsess. Just inhale a deep breath and have faith that this is your path and that everything is going to work out in the end.

"You can do this," I told myself, imagining myself stand strong, wipe my hair away from my face and look everyone dead in the eye; claiming my crown.

Liam burst through the door again, swinging around with the package with mother had thrown to me yesterday. "Here it is. Anthony found it in your hands, so he took care of it."

"Thank you." He granted me the package and relaxed on a chair beside me. I stared at it, turning it upside down to see if there was anything with it.

"So... what are you supposed to do with it?"

I peeped up. "I don't know."

"Maybe try to open. I don't think out mother would write anything on a gift, to be honest."

I agreed and opened the box with care, my fingers skimming over the edges. When the first layer was gone, a little wooden box was left engraved with one letter. N. It was really for me.

"What does 'N' stand for? Nina?" Liam asked and bent in to see it more precisely.

"I don't know." I opened the box with a swipe of my hand, revealing a white folded paper. "A letter?" I stretched my hand down and twirled it around the crunchy piece only to see a key laying very finely underneath. It was old and used more times than my house key. Not that it says a lot.