21. Take Me To Church

Sunday darkness lay over the town as I walked through its streets. Yellow light glimpsed in the small puddles the rain from earlier had created. My thumbs were compactly tucked down in my back pockets of my ripped jeans. My thin jacket did nothing to keep me warm, so goosebumps stumbled across every inch of my skin.

I shivered as I turned a corner, my foot slipping in a puddle. Not long down the road, my destination was and waited for my arrival. No streetlamps lit the area up, however, I could easily point out the silhouette of the church.

Step by step, the church grew bigger, towering over my small frame. The creaking of the metal gate mingled with my heartbeat and as I closed it behind me, the church ground suddenly became more irresistible.

My glance ended up by my feet, where a single rose bloomed into beautiful red petals. I bent down to smell its dazing scent. I straightened my clothes when I raised and walked further towards the entrance.

A statue of virgin and child prayed by each side of the double wooden door. The windows, there once had been crystal glass, was now shifted out with hard plastic. Creaks creased the dusty gray walls and its rough surface tickled the wind.

I swung the door open as silent as my breath and stepped inside, making sure I wouldn't step on the roses there laid on the floor. An offertory box hung on the wall, with thick black words written over. The entrance had the heavy scent of musty prayer books, which stood on a shelf by the wall, half-dead flowers, burned down candles and hand cream.

I walked further into the church, walking up the aisle were wood benches created long lines of emptiness as no one sat and filled them up. Arches lined the way to the once white altar at the end. The pilar was a wood even darker than the benches. It was a Victorian architecture pilar, which was the only thing besides the altar the church really had used their money on.

Empty candle holders stood at the altar, melted stearic there had hardened clutched to the holder's side. A high arched window was placed behind the altar, displaying a beautiful religious drawing in the colors of the rainbow.

I sat at the first bench on the left side and crossed my legs and laying my hands in my lap. My eyes gazed over the beautiful golden details of the altar and many crosses and drawings.

It was beautiful but an abandoned place. I had never seen a priest or anyone for that matter. The door was always open and a new bouquet was always laying at the entrance for some weird reason. I had never seen the one who placed them here.

They were always so beautiful, big and fluffy. The petals normally laid so the moonlight could shine down on them from the window. 

My legs uncrossed and I placed my elbows on my knees and my head in my hand. The little note attached to the altar still sat and waved in the light breeze. It told that you weren't allowed to enter the altar, which I respected.  

"I wish you could help me, God, but I know you have so many things to do and my turn is coming, however, I am really struggling to keep up with your plan here. You may know Anthony Martinez, yeah, I kind of told him a lot of things I shouldn't. Was that also your plan?"

I looked around, waiting for someone to answer, however, as always, I only received silence. This kind of heavy and thick silence would normally make me feel uncomfortable, however, as it swirled around me, I took it all in and appreciated it. 

As I fell in the silence, I could only hope I had power enough to pick myself up again and move on. My mother had been home for a silent moment today. She hadn't said anything other that my father was a big fat bonehead and then she had taken the car and driven away. What a mother.