56. A Promise

I opened the door, the bell ringing through my head and the warm air striking with my cold frame. I stomped the snow off my shoes before I marched further into the pizzeria only to be hauled tight into Tony's chest by his arms. "Happy birthday!"

"Thanks," I told him and drew out off his grip, watching his happy face as he watched mine. "And thank you for the gift."

"I'm glad you like it... Liam took forever to buy it." He deposited a hand on my shoulder before he wandered over to sit down on a chair. He drew one out for me too. "Here, sit down."

"No, thanks, I've to go somewhere in a moment."

He peeped disappointed down on the ground. "That's okay, I am happy you came here to say thanks personally."

"Of course, we are... friends after all." I smiled at him as his eyes grew huger, staring at me.

"But I hid the fact that I knew where your brother was from you," he said and stood, not bothering to place the chair back under the table. He took a few steps ahead. "Are you forgiving me?"

I caught his hand in mine, giving it a light squeeze. "Of course."

He tugged my arm until I was gathered into his strong grasp once again. "Tony?" His embrace was warm, but so different compared to the one my brothers or Anthony gave me. It was if something laid in it, but wasn't returned from both sides. "Tony!"

"I am sorry, Nina," he said low, rustling it into my ear.

I bit my lip. "For what?"

"For saying what I am about to say." He held me tighter. Was he afraid that I was going to glide?

"I don't under-"

"I love you," he blurted out, causing my mind and heart to skip beats and thoughts. What the fuck! "And I somehow know you don't feel the same way, however, I needed to get it out for my own sake and just in case there was some kind of spark inside of you there felt the same thing."

I swallowed and sheltered my arms around him. He winced. "Huh?"

Sweat built up in my palms because I knew how he felt. Telling someone that you love them and not knowing the outcome was scary in so many more ways than being scared of heights or spiders. It was your heart you were putting on the table. Something so fragile it was unbelievable.

"You're right, I don't love you the way you love me, however, I understand you and what you're saying. I felt the same way yesterday... so trust me when I say that it is okay." He rested his head on my shoulder, his chest moving up and down slowly and calmly.

"Thank you."

I patted his back. "No problem... we're friends after all."

"I am sorry about what happened to you. I know I don't know the details, but I am here for you if you ever need it." He pulled away, but never really releasing me. "I hope Anthony treats you as you deserve."

I furrowed my brows. "How do you know?" I looked into his eyes. They were so different. Maybe it was the situation or just the light. His eyes stared deeply into me, a shy smile creeping on his lips. No words escaped the prison on his tongue and no answer calmed my mind.

"I've seen you two together. You're as if meant to be," he told and looked up and out the window. Ignoring my eyes. "And he's also meant to be your stalker."

Huh?

Before I could turn around to see what he meant, the door opened and the bell rang. I spun around, knowing that it was Anthony. He didn't look at me but at Tony. "Martinez," Tony said and gave Anthony a slight nod which he didn't return.