XXII

-Stella Hart-

-Stella Hart-

I could see them through the window of the train. Crammed into the same compartment we've sat in for the past five years. Talking, laughing. James flirting with Lily, Remus and Peter talking intensely about ssomething, probably the muggle book locked in Remus' hand and Sirius was leaning up against the window his head turned away from me so that I couldn't see his face. Maybe that was for the best.

"Estelle!"

I snapped out of my daze and turned to see Bellatrix and Narcissa waiting for me at the steps onto the train, Bella's face tinged with annoyance, and Narcissa's with impatience, she probably just wanted to get her hands on Lucius.

I took a deep breath and run after them, my black heels clicking on the pavement. My mother had picked my outfit, naturally. In fact she had picked almost everything else too. Packed my bags, picked who I would sit with on the train and set up her spies around the school to ensure that I was honouring her 'picks'.

I was wearing a deep olive blouse tucked into tailored black bell bottoms. My make up was natural but flawless and my hair was tucked back into a sleek low bun. It was smart and respectable and very Slytherin. I guess Mum thought I had something to prove after I didn't get Prefect.

Usually I wouldn't give a fuck about what my mother wanted, but this year was different, I was skating on very thin ice.

"Daydream much?" Bellatrix sneered, about as happy about this arrangement as I was.

I was about to apologise when I remembered my mother's words from last night.

"Are you in the wrong?"

No.

"Uptight much?" I bit back and she opened her mouth to say more.

"C'mon guys." Narcissa interrupted, rolling her eyes. "You're not gonna fight the whole way to Hogwarts are you?"

I was not in the mood to be mediated by Narcissa Lestrange.

"That depends..." I began, "are you gonna suck face with Malfoy the whole way?" I asked sweetly.

Bellatrix snorted and Narcissa went red.

"Let's go." She huffed and flounced down the hallway of the train.

Bellatrix gave me a nod of approval before following her sister. I took another deep breath before going after them both.

We marched down the length of the train in silence, one after the other. I didn't realise that their favourite compartment was just past my favourite compartment and I didn't have a chance to brace myself before we went past.