XLIV

-Stella Hart-

-Stella Hart-

New Years Eve was a blur of melted snowflakes, tequila warmth, Pink Floyd songs, midnight kisses and secret smiles.

We got special permission from McGonogal to leave the castle on New Years Eve to go to the usual party at Scarlet Edgecomb's.

Christmas had been perfect, the best I had ever had in my life and I think everyone felt it too. The Secret Santa gifts and the words we said, Sirius and I, on Christmas Eve and having Christmas day dinner in McGonogals office with us and a few of our favourite teachers- it was all so perfect.

New Years turned into a sort of last hurrah before dooms day, the last time we could all let our hair down and be crazy before we had to grow up and face our future.

So we got absolutely shit faced.

Lily and I owed our outfits to the secret suitcase. Fishnet tights, short skirts, a leather jacket with my name on the picket and a denim jacket for Lily. Tight tops with bad slogans and dangerously high heels.

Peter wore the top Sirius got him for Christmas, untucked and unbuttoned and actually got really drunk for the first time in his life. We were so goddamn proud.

Sirius wore a button down top with rolled up sleeves that showed off his tattoo and the sight of it took me back in time to a memory, a very distant memory that I didn't realize I had- let alone thought of.

It was me but not actually me, another version of me, standing outside James' house in the snow, my mind facing a thousand afflictions, my body facing Sirius. It was the first time I had noticed the tattoo and I reached for him, my fingers brushing over his skin. I told him I was sorry and I told him he wasn't safe anymore, because of me.

But that night, a year later that seemed like a lifetime, I brushed my fingers over it and I told him that I love him. I replaced the old memory with the new one, rewriting history. And I liked this version so much better.

We did all the things we did best.

Beer Pong on the freezing patio. Lily and I versing James and Sirius. The slosh of fire whiskey as we knocked back cups. Lily dancing on the table when we won.

Dancing in the living room. A pink floyd song playing so loud you can feel it in the very core of your being. Lily screaming in my ear, Sirius' hands on my waist, scorching me through my t-shirt.

Stealing the hard liquor. After three years of New Years Eve parties at Scarlet Edgecomb's you would think she would have gotten craftier at hiding her booze but apparently not.

The countdown. This was an old tradition with a new twist. Usually the the countdown would end in a shot of something that burns and Lily pressing a sloppy kiss to my cheek. This year, I was too busy kissing Sirius to worry about shots or Lily or weather Peter had scored with Dorcas or even if Remus was okay. I was caught up in Sirius, his lips tasting like fire whiskey, his arms holding me so so close.