Piper

A Gryffindor makes a fool out of me

PIPER: Leo Valdez. Where do I start? The boy has been my best friend since first year, up until last year. I don't know what ever happened between us, nothing really. We'd simply gone our separate ways. I know he blamed Draco. I'll admit Draco can be a bit...problematic. But, once you get to know him you find that somewhere behind that bleach-blonde hair and snooty smirk, there's a pretty decent sized heart.

I shouldn't have even brought him up in conversation. It's not like I was trying to make Leo jealous, he was like a brother to me. I just wanted to see how he'd react and obviously, he hadn't matured much since last year. Who am I kidding, that kid hasn't gone up a level of maturity since first year.

I had corridor duties anyway. Of course, my partner today was Draco.

"Late, on your first day? Shame on you, Piper McClean."

"You're still an innocent fifth year who think you've got to be on time for everything. Aw, how precious!" I teased. "Way up here in sixth year, we don't give a care."

Draco took a moment to come up with a snooty response. In defeat, he shrugged and let out a laugh.

"Quidditch tryouts are soon. I'm trying out, are you again?"

"Hah! Quidditch, all you boys here talk about is that sport. But yeah, I'm playing. Chaser, as always. Not trying for seeker again, are you Malfoy?"

He sneered. "Of course in trying for seeker again! No doubt I'll get it. Have you seen the others who're trying out?"

I shrugged. "All I know so far is you, and Leo." I stopped myself, momentarily having forgotten I was angry with Leo.

"Oh. Valdez, great!" He exclaimed. He'd never had much of a problem with Leo.

"Draco, can I ask you something?" I asked, pacing the corridor.

He leaned against the wall, trying to appear cool. He crossed his arms and nodded towards me, signaling me to continue.

"What are your thoughts on Leo?" His face fell suddenly.

"Why? Not fancying him, are you?"

I laughed at the thought.

"No. I'm not asking for me, I'm asking for you. What do you think about him?" Draco shrugged.

"He's a bit loud. Besides that, I've never paid him much attention. Not a bad Keeper for our Quidditch team. In my third year I remember he tried out but didn't make the team. He was still a decent flyer. I wasn't surprised to see his name on the tryout list."

He must've seen my look of dissatisfaction.

"What? Did I say something wrong?"

He looked like a lost puppy.

I'd always liked his silly, lost puppy look.

"No! No, you didn't. It's just, I was hoping for more of a what do you think about his personal response. Not everything about a person is expressed by the way they play Quidditch."

Draco nodded in agreement.

"True. Like I said, I've never spoken much to Leo. You're closer to him than I am. Why do you want to know my opinion?"

I felt my face redden. One thing I didn't like about Draco is how he could change mood of the conversation so quickly. It was an innocent question, but now he was making me feel as though he were accusing me of trying to do something more.