Hazel

I lose my sanity as well as my ferrule

HAZEL: I examined my sketch for ages. It was her, the women from my dream. She looked exactly like the figure I had dreamt about. It's funny, I had always enjoyed drawing but I've never been decent. Tonight I had the sudden urge to draw her, and it turned out great if you'd call whatever this situation was great.

This summer, I began dreaming of things, of people I had never seen before. At the end of every dream was the same lady. She was a powerful source. I could feel it. But she was trapped; she was in danger.

I hoped I could get a decent sleep in my dorm tonight. The girls were likely waiting for me to go to bed and probably had a list of gossip made up to discuss with me. I'd never been into drama much, but I've been told a lot that I'm just a good person to discuss it with because I listen quite well.

What I didn't expect to be greeted me were four arguing girls.

The second I walked in, I was greeted by the girls shouting at each other from their separate beds.

"I know you took it, Melanie! The bracelet was setting right on my bedside table only a minute ago."

"Carlie, you know I wouldn't do that! It was probably Allison. Allison, I know you took my earrings. They were just in my trunk!"

"Melanie, I didn't take anything! It was probably Gracie! All of my coins are gone, and they can't have just vanished from my purse! What did you do with our stuff Gracie?"

"It wasn't me! My ring is gone..." all of the girls turned to me as they heard the door close behind me.

"Hazel!" They all shot, accusingly.

"This isn't the greeting I was expecting." I held up my hands in defense. "What's going on?" I asked.

Allison sighed in defeat. "We're sorry, Hazel. But we reckon somebody here is playing a prank. All of us are missing something. You haven't seen my money, have you?"

I shook my head.

"No, I haven't."

I rushed over to my trunk to discover it had been opened. I hadn't even been in my dorm yet or opened my things. It shouldn't have been opened.

"This isn't right...but, I don't know if I'm missing anything. Wait, no. No, no, no! I had a new paintbrush in here! Look at it!" I picked up the now broken item. "The bristles and the handle are here, but disconnected! Where is the Ferrule?" I pleaded.

"Ferrule?" Carlie questioned. "What language are you speaking?"

"It's the metal but that holds together the bristles and connects it to the handle."

Melanie rolled her eyes. "Oh, no. Not your Ferrule! It's not like I'm missing expensive, diamond earrings or anything!"

Carlie shook her head at Melanie.

"We're all missing something that means something to us, be a bit more considerate."

Allison sighed heavily.

"Hazel, do you have any idea where this stuff could be? We've searched everywhere, and we--" I shushed her suddenly. It may have seemed a bit rude, but it was for good reason.

"I heard something. Feet, I heard feet scampering." Everybody froze.

"Wands at the ready," I whispered. The girls were as quiet as I had ever seen them. Each of us held our wands in front of us.

I had heard the scampering in the left corner of the room, but something told me that the creature was quick. It couldn't have possibly been in the same spot.