Annabeth

I am humiliated, yet again
ANNABETH
"Mount your brooms!" Hooch announced. I couldn't help but smirk to myself. I caught Hazel and Will's eyes in the stands. They were both cheering me on with huge smiles. What did I have to be nervous about? I was about to win our team the first match of the season. Without Potter, Gryffindor was even more screwed than usual.

"Go!"

And we were off.

Within minutes, the game was already a battle on both ends. The chasers worked tirelessly to score on both teams.

"Ten points to Gryffindor!" Lee Jordan announced. "A killer goal by Jackson!"

Percy saluted the crowd with a smirk as he flew. I shot him a glare. His ego was too much to handle at times.

It was all tied up now, 50-50. Cho Chang was the best chaser on our team, having moved to that position after I became seeker this year. She had scored all five of our goals.

Jason Grace was the replacement seeker for Gryffindor. I had nothing to worry about since he'd never played a day in his life. We had this game in the bag!

I spotted a glint of gold in the corner of my vision. Unfortunately, Jason had too. We both took off.

He was surprisingly fast on a broom for being a newbie. We were about the same speed.

Come on Annabeth, just a few inches...

I reached out.

Jason's hand pushed mine away as he tried to reach for the snitch. I pushed him with my broom and he was out of reach. The snitch was practically in my grasp...

Suddenly, as if the winds had decided to carry it to him, the snitch flew directly into Jason's grasp, 10 feet away.

I was in shock.

"GRYFFINDOR HAS WON THE MATCH! GRACE HAS CAUGHT THE SNITCH!"

Jason and I locked eyes.

How had he done that? How could he have been so lucky?

***

I lowered my broom to the ground and sprinted into the locker room. My team was in there, staring at me with not-so-welcoming glares. All glared, apart from Cho.

"Nice loss, Chase," somebody spoke. I didn't see who said it. Then again, it didn't matter who said it. They were all thinking it.

"You just lost the game for us, congratulations," somebody else sneered.

"If anybody else makes any comment targeting a player's performance apart from me, you will be off the team. As co-captain, that's my job. And as a team, we should support each other, rather than targeting a specific player!" Cho lectured. "I could name at least ten things each and every one of you did wrong! Annabeth only had one. So before you go on shouting at her, take a damn hard look at yourself! You are all dismissed."

Nobody spoke as they left, probably terrified to face Cho's wrath. Cho and I were the only two who remained in the locker room.

"Thank you," I mumbled.

"Shake it off, Chase," she encouraged. "We'll get it next time."

I don't know when the tears started coming. They had probably been building up ever since Grace had caught the snitch. The second I left the locker room, members of the Gryffindor house surrounded me.

"Chase, Chase, Chase!" They all chanted. "Chase lost to Grace!"

My tears weren't out of self pity, they were out of anger. I didn't even have my wand with me! It was up in my house in my school robe's pocket. How stupid, I was!