Hazel

I gain a new pet and I dream about a pen
HAZEL: I have a confession: I've never loved classes. Sure, the subjects are interesting and I'm not a bad student by any means, but none of my friends are in my year. Therefore, in none of my classes. My best friend at this school is Annabeth, but she's two years ahead of me. The rest of the students in my dormitory have always been their own cliche, I was never invited in.

My first class was Divination.

Double divination, with Gryffindor.

I didn't take it last year, and that was only because I wanted to take a year of muggle studies instead. As a muggleborn, it was a bit stupid to take the class. I just wanted to take the class to help out other students and see just how the professor viewed muggles. She was quite kind, and I think it's obvious that was an easy class for me.

I decided to try out the class this year purely because I was curious. I was curious as to whether the accusations students have made about this professor were correct or not. I'd heard many things about her, not many of those things were very good.

The classroom was strange. Upon stepping into the room, I immediately felt an aura I couldn't quite explain. The air felt thicker, but the smells felt stronger, everything around me looked darker.

I didn't know if I'd love this class.

None of my close friends were in this class, like I said. So I took a nice seat far away from everyone else. I needed to enjoy the peacefulness of the classroom while I could. The Gryffindor students would be entering soon, it wouldn't be long before the peacefulness would die.

I'm sure I'll get a good grade in this class, as my first prediction was correct. The door opened, students piled in with laughter and continuing conversations. Trelawney sat at her desk with her eyes as wide as a bat's.

Every Gryffindor was loud as could be, catching up on their summers. All except one. She was a bit taller than me, with long red hair. It took me a moment to realize who it was.

Ginny Weasley.

I don't think I have to explain Ginny Weasley, and why she intimidates me. She's the sister of the best friend of Harry Potter. She's fierce, athletic, and pretty gorgeous. And she is one of few people in this school to have come face to face with Tom Riddle himself.

She intimidated me, but I admired her. She was a true Gryffindor. People often mistake arrogance for bravery. She's one of the few Gryffindor I've seen who actually has a true trait of bravery.

Trelawney stood up and cleared her throat. The chatter in the room didn't completely subside, but students now took their seats. Each desk seated two students. I prayed and hoped there would be an odd number, and I'd be left by myself. Of course, things just don't work out like that.

Ginny Weasley was the only student left standing. She scanned the room for a seat, then sighed upon the realization all of her Gryffindor students had chosen a partner already. She took the only chair open, the one beside me.

I offered her a shy smile. I wasn't great at starting conversation, nor was I an expert at making friends.

"Hi, Hazel." She nodded to me, then faced the front of the class where Trelawney was stood. She knew my name, I was surprised. It was rare anyone here knew my house or year, let alone my name.

"I've never taken Divination before, have you?" I asked. I was afraid she'd ignore me at first. Rejection has always been an irrational fear of mine. Instead, she nodded.

"Second year taking this course, unfortunately." She sighed.

"How is it? I mean, is this a difficult class?" I asked.