Magnus

My fate is decided...and it's boring
MAGNUS: We had arrived at Hogwarts.

Ron and Harry seemed more than eager to get away from us. It was obvious from the start that they were skeptical of us. After getting caught up on the newspapers I found lying around the dormitory, I understood why they weren't so willing to trust us. There was a lot of evil going about this world.

All of us took the time to read Hogwarts: A History. That way, we were caught up on most of what we needed to know about this school and this world. It would be easier for us to carry out our personas of magical exchange students if we at least had knowledge of the school.

Since we were only shadowing for a few weeks, we wouldn't have to actually perform any magic. Lucky us! Dumbledore said he was more than happy to let us observe and sit in on the classes. Somehow, this plan hadn't fallen apart yet. Our identities remained hidden. That is, until Reyna pointed out a key issue.

"Wait--You discovered there was an issue when you mentioned that Annabeth wrote you a letter, not sounding like herself," Reyna said. I nodded, not seeing the problem.

"So," Reyna continued. "She knows who you are. In her mind, you're her cousin. What are you going to say if she sees you walking about the school as some American exchange student?"

Everybody stared at me, awaiting an answer. Alex was munching on pretzels. It was hard to hear what Alex was saying. The word spoken sounded an awful lot like, "idiot."

"Improvising has done me pretty well so far!" I pointed out. "What could possibly go wrong?"

Thalia face-palmed.

"What are we going to say if we run into any of them? They don't even know who we are! We're just some American exchange students." Thalia then glared at me. "Improvising is over with. It's time to make a plan."

"I don't see you coming up with anything," Alex shot. Thalia scowled.

"Oh, really? Am I not the one who's kept us on task this entire quest?" Thalia fired back.

"If by on task you mean uptight then yes, you have kept us uptight this entire quest. Make a joke once in a while, would you? I've never seen somebody go so long without smiling." Alex laughed.

"Please, let's not argue," Reyna looked annoyed.

"Oh, I'm not arguing, princess. I'm just stating the facts. You two need to be like Grover over here and let loose once in awhile!"

Grover bleated.

"Gods," he said. "Please don't bring me into this."

"Guys!" I said, hoping I wouldn't have to summon any peace of Frey before the weapons broke out. "We're all exhausted. Arguing isn't going to do us any good! Just take a moment to breathe." I advised.

Both Alex and Thalia glared at me.

"No offense, Chase. But I don't think yoga is going to help in this situation," Thalia scowled. Alex laughed.

"Hah! I agree. What do you want us to do next, hold hands and talk about our feelings?" Alex added. Thalia and Alex snorted with laughter. How could these two be so similar, yet so different? One moment they were arguing, the next they were laughing like best friends.

At the same time, Reyna and I looked looked at each other apologetically. Me, apologetic on behalf of Alex, and Reyna for Thalia.

"I have an idea," Grover proposed. Everybody in the room looked at him. Because when a satyr chewing half of an apple core speaks, it's customary to pay attention.

"It's obvious that they were sent here for a reason," the goat man spoke. "They're probably trying to figure a quest out on their own! Our quest is to find them. When we do that, it isn't best to interfere. We should just act our roles as exchange students who don't have a clue who anyone is here! Let's make a rule that we can only talk to our friends if they approach us first."

Nobody said anything, meaning they all reluctantly agreed.

"I promised all of camp I would punch Leo if I found him," Thalia said. "He had been missing and presumed dead! Finally, he gets home. No less than a week later, he's missing again. Calypso was so upset. She probably wants to punch him more than anyone."

"Well, you'll have to save your punching for later," Reyna spoke. "Grover is correct. We can't just approach them. And Magnus, you'll have to stay hidden somehow. Since Annabeth knows of you, if she saw you posing as an exchange student that would confuse her more than she already is."

I rolled my eyes.

"So what, I'm stuck in the dorm all day?"

They all nodded in agreement. Great. I was in a magical school and the only thing I could do was hide in a smelly boy's dorm.

"What do we do now?" I asked.

Thalia looked at Reyna with a mischievous grin.

"What do you say? Reyna, Grover, Alex, want do go explore the school?" They all stood up in excitement while I sat on my bed sadly.

"And I'm forced to sit alone all day. Alex, you won't stay with me?" I asked.

Alex nodded.

"You're right, Magnus. I won't stay with you. See you!"

And they all left me alone to be bored to death...huh, that's a way I haven't died yet.