Chapter 1 - The Beginning

~ In the land of gods and monsters, I was an angel, living in the garden of evil ~
Gods & Monsters - Lana Del Rey

The sun had just risen and its hot shines were warming Katherine's face soft skin, when after few minutes the light became so intense to wake her up. She opened her eyes slowly, still tired by the sleep, and she put away a lil bit of black hair from her face. She got off the bed and went to the bathroom to fix herself.

While she was getting ready she thought about her friends with a little bit of melancholy: even if she had been left alone for a while she wasn't used at all to look after herself yet...Or not so soon afterall.
She had been with them for a couple of months and they had built a good relationship, they had become like a family. They divided the tasks and look after each other, just like a family; but that serenity lasted a little due to a little forgetting, a little mistake, her friends died and Katherine was forced to run away.

She didn't like thinking about those moments because a veil of sadness rose in her. Sadness that made her vulnerable and she couldn't allow it, especially now that she was alone... But sometimes was inevitable.

She ended of getting ready and went to the bedroom door where she had slept. She had locked the door for security, that was the only house she had found and she didn't know if it was safe or not. She went down making sure there was nobody else but her in the house. She went to the kitchen and made breakfast with the few things left. Dammit! I'm running out of supplies. Kat realized that soon she would have had to look for food if she wanted to survive.

She decided to leave to look for supplies since the sun was still high in the sky. She perfectly knew the nearest houses were a couple of miles away from the house she had slept in and then she would have had to walk for a while. The idea of running into walkers didn't scare her, even because she had trained a lot when she still was with her friends to kill them without being injured. She become quiet good at it.

After travelling a road that seemed endless, she noticed a group of houses in the distance.
Instinctively, kept by euphoria, she started to run but when she arrived close to the first house she was surprised. There were cars parked over there, but they weren't abandoned. In fact there were 4 or 5 men near that were looking for something apparently. Probably they're looking for supplies too... Or a place to stay in. Kat was about to go to one of them when a scream paralyzed her. She hadn't understood well what word was hidden behind that scream but she was so struck by the terror in that voice that she immediately looked for a place to hide.
Soon after the screams started again always more and more rending. Until a gun shot took everything back to silence.

Kat was paralyzed by fear. She didn't expect a situation like that.
Fuck! What do I do now?
She was shaking and she couldn't see clearly what was happening: she had understood few things by rumors, but that few was enough to convince her these persons weren't friendly.
There were still some screams this time clearer and Kat could understand that was about a man and a woman. She would have seen what was happening so as to help them and so she moved a little, being sure not to be noticed, to have a clearer vision of the situation.

She saw a tall man, with dark hair, with a black leather jacket and a red scarf on his neck that was throwing the screaming man over a house, followed by the screaming woman. Soon the woman was taken and thrown into the car that left all of a sudden. The man was still there, on the ground, with the man with the leather jacket and other two men.

<Ohh my dear, I wasn't expecting this by you, fuck! I did, indeed, because you are without balls... But now tell me... Was it an idea of yours of hers?> said to the man on the ground.

<Fuck you! I'm telling you shit!> shouted the other.

<Whoa. You really should have drunken you brain to talk to me like that dude. Maybe I must remind you of who's in charge between me and you...> said grabbing the gun that shot earlier and leaned it to the forehead of the man on the ground.

<Now tell me, and I wanna fucking know it now, if the idea was yours or hers>

The question stayed unanswered. The man on the ground kept looking at him with a sight of challenge mixed with rage, so the other shot.