Chapter 38 - Rick

Once the conversation was over, Rick and Carl had returned to the living room and joined Kat and Judith.

<Thanks for keeping an eye on Judith. And also for making her laugh> Rick said.

<Welcome, I do it willingly> answered Kat smiling at him.

<Dad, I have to go now: Enid is waiting for me to go to Carol> Carl said <Then hello Kat, I'll see you soon!> he added, waving goodbye as he went out.

Kat did the same thing by returning the greeting and then turned to Rick, who was watching her with his blue eyes so vivid and limpid to make her uncomfortable. Kat pulled back a lock of hair from her face to avoid having to look at him and started to talk.

<You know Rick, your son is really a good boy> she said hoping to escape his look.

<Yes, it is. I don't know what I would do without him: all we are trying to build here and we are doing to fight the Saviors, we do it for our children> he answered with a flash of hope in his voice.

The Saviors... I had almost forgotten about them. Will they still be in the woods looking for me? And will they still be looking for me? O Negan? Or both of us? Maybe they have already stopped looking for both...
And Negan? I hope he is fine...

<It's a nice thought, I'm sure they'll appreciate it> Kat told him, smiling faintly, trying to drive away her thoughts.

Rick had noticed that for a moment Kat's air seemed to wander in the dark.

<Are you all right?> he asked sincerely worried.

<Yeah, yes, it's nothing... It's just that I remembered bad memories> replied the girl looking down.

Rick walked over to where Kat sat with Judith, knelt down in front of her and gently lifted her chin to look him in the eyes.

<If you need to talk about anything, I'm here> he smiled gently, capturing her in a glacial grip with his eyes.
Then he got up and took Judith in his arms and walked away to take her to her room.

Kat stood still, blushing, staring at the spot where Rick's eyes had bewitched her, still amazed by the extremely kind gesture that the man had just reserved for her.
Everything was so strange: things in Alexandria still seemed to be still before the apocalypse and the relationships with the people were so serene to seem almost surreal.

The girl got up and stretched her crumpled clothes, then she went up the stairs to reach Rick, who hadn't come down yet.

The steps were velvety and the weight of the body didn't produce any noise on the wooden floor, allowing Kat to move closer to Judith's room in complete silence. Once she had arrived near the door, she had leaned out gently so as not to interrupt that intimate moment that was taking place in front of her: Rick was curled up on his daughter's bed and was gently rocking her to make her fall asleep. The sun's rays illuminated the man's curls shyly, bringing out the shine of his hair.
After stopping to watch them, she had felt herself out of place, and for fear of being able to interrupt the so perfect scene, she had quietly walked away, retracing her steps.

As she was walking down the corridor, a warm hand had surrounded her wrist, pulling her gently to make her stop.

Kat turned and immediately met Rick's blue eyes.

<Did you want to leave without saying goodbye?> he whispered so as not to wake Judith.

<Ehm no I... I was not leaving> Kat answered, slightly embarrassed for having interfered in the intimacy of the Grimes family; she looked down and saw Rick's hand still attached to her arm.
She blushed slightly and noticing it, Rick did the same by withdrawing his hand. They looked at each other for a moment, then Rick said:

<Do you want to stay for dinner?>

<Yes, thank you>.

—————————
Wow wow guys!
I've loved writing this capther, so let me in know in the comments what you think it's gonna happen and if you liked it 😘