Chapter 39 - Tension

Kat and Rick had walked in the kitchen to prepare dinner and while Rick controlled what they had to eat, Kat was setting the table.
Not knowing where she could find the various things, however, she was opening doors randomly.
After noticing it Rick laughed and had indicated a drawer.

<Thank you, I thought you wanted to let me open all the doors> said ironically Kat teasing him playfully. After arranged the dishes, it was the turn of the cutlery but she didn't know where they were those too.

<Cutlery?>

<Here> replied Rick indicating the drawer in front of which was cutting the meat. Kat had approached it thinking that Rick would have moved to leave her open the drawer, but nothing, he was too focused on his work. She reached out a hand to reach the handle but Rick moved almost just to stand in her way. Then Kat leaned with her back toward the counter, waiting for Rick to look at her, when he lifted the gaze, she did slip a hand in front of him. On Rick's face appeared a mischievous smile that Kat returned without hesitation, and continuing to slide the hand to  the handle close to his pants, suddenly she the put the other hand on his chest and gave him a slight thrust making him walk back of two steps, creating the space to be able to open the drawer. Rick laughed and lowered  the gaze, understanding to have misunderstood the gesture and then looked at Kat shaking his head.
Kat had taken cutlery and had turned to look Rick: she had heard that he was laughing slightly embarrassed and looked at him in the eyes smiling without telling him anything. Then  she passed next to him and went to the table.
After that she asked him if needed a hand to cook.

<Yes, thanks Kat, get that knife and size carrots>.

Kat had taken the knife and was looking at the shining blade in which was reflected her image. Then began to slice carrots, breaking the calm silence that has been created only with the noise of the knife that arrived at the end of its race.

Occasionally she turned to look what Rick was doing and when he finally realized to be observed, Kat looked  away not to be seen but she cut herself instead.

<Shit> she swore raising quickly her finger so that the blood didn't stain the food. Rick had left what he was doing and had approached her to help.

<Wait, I'll help you: let me see> he said taking her hand before Kat could say something. The touch of his hand was kind and delicate, his eyes watched carefully the wound from which flowed blood to try to understand how deep was. Then took a rag and wrapped it around the Kat's finger.

<Wait here, I am going to take a patch and water oxygenated> and saying so he left quickly.

Crap, I also cut myself... I can always make bad figures.

Kat had slightly moved the rag to see if came out blood, but had already stopped. A stain of blood on-shred had reminded her of those on Negan's clothes when she found him.

Negan... always him.
But I still have to find a way to see if they have what I need for him.

Meanwhile Rick had returned with the necessary to cure her and after taken off the rag, had clean the wound and covered cutting with a patch.

<Here we are! Fortunately is only a superficial cut> the man informed her smiling.

<Thanks> replied Kat smiling back and staring her dark eyes in Rick's clear ones. After few more seconds still, Kat broke the silence suggesting that would have had to end up to prepare dinner. Once ready, they sat at the table and ate mostly in silence looking at each other from time to time. Then they began talking and ended up to joke like two old friends.

After they finished to eat, they had raised to wash dishes and while Rick was washing, Kat dried and collected. They were a nice team.

After supported the last dish in the belief, she saw his arm, the had joined her from behind to file a bowl above the stack. Kat put his hand on the counter without turning and Rick leaned his above. None of them two said anything and Kat could feel the warm breath Rick blow close to her skin and perceive the proximity between the two bodies. Then she turned slowly with the gaze low.

<I think it's better if I go> she could say with a wire voice.

<I think it is>.

When finally Kat was able to watch him in the eyes, they felt the door opening.

<Dad! I'm home! Sorry I'm late but  we stopped eating with Enid by Maggie> shouted Carl walking home in search of the father. Kat moved  quickly beyond Rick and went to the door, crossing Carl and cheering him before escaping and getting out of the house heading towards the main gate.

<What has Kat? She seemed strange> churches Carl.

<I think she was scared to have cut  herself little ago> replied Rick making it look like a suitable justification.

Meanwhile Kat was almost by the gate, but before getting there, had stopped to seek what she was looking for. Fortunately at that time there was not security and she had been able to take what was needed for Negan. Then, after being output from Alexandria, she headed to her home.