Chapter 48 - A Bad Surprise

The next morning Kat had woken up in the sofa where she had fallen asleep not many hours before and after passing the door where Negan slept, she had gone to have breakfast. Negan was still asleep and she would have brought him breakfast later.

While Kat was drinking, she heard footsteps outside the door and promptly took her knife. She had approached the door and after hiding had waited for it to open.

The door opened slowly, creaking, and when there was enough space, Kat jumped in front of him, pointing the knife to the throat of the man who had opened.

<Stop Kat, it's me!> Rick said holding up his hands.

<Rick?> Kat blanched lifting the knife from his neck <What are you doing here?> she asked worried pushing him out the door and following him.

<I was worried about you: you never showed up again, so I asked Daryl to show me where you lived> Rick explained, looking at her with his usual sky-blue eyes.

<Ah, sorry, I'm fin ... It's just that I didn't feel very well and so I stayed here> lied Kat.

<But Kat you could tell me, I would have helped you. You know I'm always here for you> he said, stroking her cheek and smiling at her.

<I know, thanks Rick> she smiled back at him, melting a little, looking into his eyes.

<So, will you let me in or not?> Rick asked, pointing at the door laughing.

No. She did not want to let him in. Not with Negan sleeping inside.

Surely they would wake him up and he would understand everything.

<Ehm actually...> Kat tried to stop him but Rick had already opened the door and had already entered.

Shit! Shit!

As soon as he was at home, while he was still looking around looking at the house, Kat had turned and kissed pulling him to himself and making him sit on the couch, hoping he would stay there.

Seeing that Kat was particularly taken, Rick decided to indulge her.

<Kat wait, would not it be better to go over to your room?> He asked, laughing under his mustache.

<No! No!> Kat spoke softly and to keep Rick from talking, she kissed him again.

Then she put a hand on his chest and after pushing it lightly, she had put a finger on his lips making him sign not to speak, then got up and after taking him by the hand had brought him out of the house.

Once outside she had closed the door and kissed him again.

<You're strange...> He did not have time to finish that Kat kissed him again, and then she realized that she could not go on forever and then stopped.

<Listen Rick, I have to tell you something... The attack on the Sanctuary must be done as soon as possible>

<What? And why? The date is already set, we are not quite ready yet> answered Rick curiously.

<Because not knowing if Negan is really dead or not, he could come back any minute and things could change: we have to attack until Simon is still in charge and take advantage of the opportunity>

<Wait a minute, why do you think of something like that now? You said no one has seen Negan for a long time... Why should he come back now?> He asked a little suspiciously.

<I do not know... It's just an option to evaluate. We should act as soon as possible, that's all> Kat tried to convince him.

<I'm sorry but we can't, not yet> Rick answered.

<Okay, but at least think about it, please> Kat asked looking at him with pleading eyes.

<Okay, whatever> Rick gave her a small kiss on her lips.

<Now, since you clearly do not want to let me in, I have to go: they are waiting for me at home to fix things> explained the man winking at her.

<All right. I'll join you there... And I'll make it up to you, I promise> Kat answered in turn, winking back.

Then she watched him walk away and when she did not see him again, she returned home hoping that Negan had not heard anything. After closing the door she went to peer into the room and Negan still had his eyes closed.
After a sigh of relief, she went to do some business.

In the meantime, Negan had heard perfectly well: he had only pretended to go on sleeping but his suspicions had been confirmed: Kat was hiding something, something big.
Negan had recognized Rick's voice and had sensed that the two had some kind of relationship.

He was furious, full of anger, resentment and jealousy. He wanted Rick dead, now even more than before.

But first he had to solve other problems. He sat up in bed and then tried to get up slowly, trying to take a few steps out of the room. Now he could stand up but could not walk for long because he got tired immediately.

I have to get out of here right away. I have to go back to the Sanctuary, kill that asshole Simon and then go look for Rick... Oh Rick you shouldn't have done it, you shouldn't fucking have to!

Feeling footsteps, Kat went to see what Negan was doing and found him sitting on the couch with Lucille in his hand. He was caressing her. He passed his rough hand on the smooth, shiny wood of the bat, absorbed in thought and with a contracted jaw.

<Is it okay, Negan?> Kat asked in a low voice, understanding that something was wrong.

<What? Ah yes, all right. I felt only her absence> Negan answered, pointing to Lucille. This half-truth did not satisfy Kat, but now she did not have time to worry about it.

<Look, Negan, for me there's no problem if you stay here until you've completely recovered: there's everything you need here. And I highly recommend it because you can barely stand on your feet...>

<Yes, you're right. I'll stay here a little longer... With you> he had marked the last two words with a strange tone.

<Perfect then: make yourself at home> Kat said, smiling, trying to hide the slight discomfort that his answer had caused, and then left him alone with Lucille.

Negan looked at Kat with hostile eyes: how could she deliberately lie to him and hide something like that?

__________________________________________________

Hello guys!

So, here we are, things are cracking up between Negan and Kat. What do you expect to happen next? Let me know with a comment and see you next chapter!