Chapter 41 - An Unexpected Visit

The Sun was just popped from behind some clouds and Kat was in the shadow of the big gate that split her from Alexandria, waiting to come in. She didn't have to wait too much that Carl ran to welcome her.

<Hey Kat! I'm glad to see you again. How is your hand?>

<Hello Carl. Fine, thank you, it is almost healed of everything. How are you?> said Kat taking his sheriff hat and putting it on her head.

<I am fine... but I'd be better with my hat on my head> he laighed showing the tounge to Kat.

<Sure it fits better on you than on me> replied Kat laughing seeing the boy.

<Hello Kat, you're back> Michonne greeted <you have brought something by chance?>.

<Sorry but this time hunting was bad...> she justified.

<I imagined... also to me and Daryl isn't going well lately> added Michonne.

<Anyway I'm going by Maggie and Tara, if you want to go to say hello follow me>.

<Sure, I'm coming> Kat turned towards Carl <See you later> and then followed the woman. When she reached her she asked some questions about how things were goinge there in Alexandria and how they were their relationships with the Saviors, discovering only things she would have preferred not to know. Apparently they hated Negan and they were trying to attack the Sanctuary and kill him. Perhaps she could make they change idea. Maybe not.

After arriving by Maggie and Tara, she had stops to give them a hand to clean weapons and to check the inventory. They had talked discovering more and more things they had in common and Kat had discovered herself closer than she believed to Michonne. If it wasn't for the fact that Michonne was a real strength with her Katana, while Kat barely knew how to use her knives.

Tara asked Kat to bring an empty box out of the room and once in road, Kat saw Rick in the distance. His figure slender and slender was moving away making the colors of his clothes spots blurred. Kat stopped watching him when called back by Maggie, she came back inside. After she finished helping, Kat went out and started to walk among the houses to look for those houses who Carl had shown her. Not remembering well where they were, she just had a look around. She greeted Enid who was playing with Judith and other children and went on. When she arrived in front of Rick's house, she went to the door and knocked but none answered. So she sat on the steps to wait. After ten minutes finally Rick arrived and was surprised to see her.

<Kat, hello. I didn't know that you had arrived>

<Oh hello Rick. Well I have arrived a bit ago and I have given a hand  to Maggie and Tara... and I thought to stop by>

<Kind of you. Come in> and after that he open the door and made her sign to step in.

<Can I give you something?> said Rick.

<Nothing, thanks> replied Kat politely.

<As you wish. So, as how's your hand? > went on the man sitting near Kat.

<Well it's healing quickly thanks to your medication> she explained.

<I'm glad> the man smiled looking at the girl. Then reluctantly he had to stop the conversation.

<Listen Kat, I'd really like to continue to talk to you, but there is a problem...> he said becoming dark in the face.

<What?> Kat was worried.

<We're waiting for the Saviors to arrive. That Negan arrives actually. and I don't want them to find you here. So I have to ask you to hide when they will arrive> said Rick bitterly.

<Ah. Yes, no problem: they won't even notice me> tried to reassure him Kat placing a hand on his knees. Rick looked up and after looking at her, smiled.

<Now I have to go to fix the latest things, but if you want to stay here, make yourself at home... I ...> said getting up and going to the door.

<You?> Kat invited him to continue.

<I would like to find you still here when they will be gone away... and also Carl I think would be pleased> said Rick before she could answer and close the door. Kat stood up and looked around, turning to the house and observing the everyday life of the Grimes family. Not long after she heard a strange silence falls on Alexandria and Kat went to the window to see what was happening.

It must be them.

She moved the tent without expose herself and looked out. She could see the black cars of the Saviors and when she saw Simon and Rick walking towards home, she ran upstairs to hide. She didn't knew the house so well to know where was better to get hide and after looking at Carl and Judith's rooms she entered Rick's one. The front door opened and Simon's voice echoed between the walls.

<So Rick, what do you offer? Seen that we have to wait a while I would like to drink. What do you have for me?> said Simon walking in the house as if he was looking for something.

<I don't have anything here of what you want> growled Rick.

<Rick, you must be nicer with me... you remember that even if Negan he's not here in person, even I am Negan, then you have to pay me the same respect> said Simon threatening  and approaching him. Then turned around and began to go upstairs. Rick had looked around trying to see where was Kat but unable to find her, could only hope that she had hidden well.

<Stop! Where are you going?> spat acid Rick.

<Friend, relaxed, I'm just doing a tour of the house because you didn't offer me a drink> said Simon raising his hands to the sky. Rick followed him staying as close to him as possible. Once upstairs, Simon began to open all the rooms and going in. Each door opened, Rick lost a beat. Once arrived in his room, Simon went to the window and after looked out turned to Rick saying:

<I know you are hiding something Rick, but I don't know what... it is clear: you're sweating cold, you're nervous and if your eyes had been able to kill me, I would be dead on the threshold of your house. So, do you want to tell me what you hide or I have to find out all alone? Mh?>.

<Go fuck yourself> replied dry Rick and before Simon could say anything they heard a shot. The two rushed out to see what was happening, leaving the house in hurry.