Chapter 52 - The Plan Into The Plan

Kat had moved away from Carl in a hurry before he could investigate further, had patted her forehead thinking about what had almost run away and proceeded to the steps to the stairs that led to Rick's room.

Once in the room she had sat in bed next to Rick, who, still sleepy, was slowly waking up.

<Rick?> The girl asked in a low voice.

<Good morning, Kat, did you sleep well?> The man answered in a deep, hoarse voice, causing a shiver down Kat's back.

<Yes, thank you. Listen, I think it's better if I go back to my house to prepare the last things to bring here for the attack... So you can finish organizing everything> explained lying down next to Rick and resting her head on his chest.

<Yes, it's a good idea. Do you want me to come with you to help you?> The man asked the girl warmly.

<No thanks Rick. It's kind of you to offer me your help but it would be selfish of me to accept knowing that right now your people need you more than ever> she said, kissing him affectionately.

<As you wish. But if you need help, do not hesitate to call me, I'll always be there for you> and seal that promise by putting your lips to the soft lips of the girl and shaking her hand.

The sweet atmosphere was soon interrupted by the swirling sound of steps that made the wood creak and went to Rick's room at great speed.

Having noticed, Kat got out of bed and Rick had done the same.

The bedroom door swung open, revealing Carl, who was out of breath, informing his father that the Saviors were at the gate's doorstep.

<What?!> Rick and Kat exclaimed in unison.

<I do not know daddy: they should not have arrived for at least a couple of days more... and now they are at the gate waiting for you> the boy explained excitedly.

<Shit...> Rick whispered, running a hand over his beard.

<All right, thanks Carl, I'll take care of it. Kat you hide, Carl go get Judith and go to Olivia's home> sentenced the man.

As they were leaving the room, Kat took Rick by the arm and pulled him back.

<Rick I... I do not know how to tell you but... God but why is it so hard?> she tried to formulate.

<Hey, do not worry, you can tell me everything baby> Rick answered, caressing her cheek.

Baby... He used to call me like that.

A shiver went down like a high voltage shove down the back of the girl making her shiver.

<Rick I tried to tell you so many times but I'm afraid you do not understand... It's something bigger than me and I do not know how it could affect what's between us... I wanted to be honest with you from the beginning and you do not know how much I regret not having been able to be. You're so sweet, kind and affectionate that I do not even seem to deserve you...>

<Do not say that Kat: you're a wonderful girl and you've done so much to help us that we can never thank you enough. I can not imagine what you're feeling, but I know you're a good person and you would never do anything to hurt us. What's between us is a special thing... And I think it's stronger than anything that's upsetting you. Kat, I'll...>

<RICK!> Dwight shouted from under a window.

Kat stood still, her eyes shining and wide, incredulous at what she was hearing and feeling. Rick smiled at her softly, kissed her on the lips, and after looking her in the eyes, he had moved away from her to go to the Saviors.

<Ohh finally here is our fearless Alexandria's leader. Hi, Rick, did you sleep well?> The man with a disfigured face spit sour.

<What do you want? You should not have come so soon> Rick said seriously.

<Well,things changed a bit lately and so we have to review our deal: from now on we'll take 2/3 of your things instead of half... At least until we put things back on their feet at the Sanctuary>

<What? Absolutely not! We will not give you anything more!> he growled.

<I think you did not understand: you are not the ones who give us things, we are the ones who take them. And that's that. There is no question>

<Fuck you>

<Whoa, what a language! Let's not be scalding ourselves - Dwight ironically raising his hands in surrender - we're not looking for trouble here. Now here is what we will do: you give us what you have, we will load the stuff on the trucks and then we will all return home. Easy like that>

Rick looked at him with eyes full of anger: he wanted to shoot him in front of him, but it was not yet time. He signaled to his men to do as they said and to give him the stuff. Then he approached Dwight and whispered some deadly words to him.

<I'd like to put a bullet in your head... But this is not the place or the moment. But be sure that your death will be because of me> Rick snarled.

<If I do not kill you first> Dwight said sharply.

After staring silently in the eyes for a few seconds, Rick turned his back and walked away.

Meanwhile Kat had left a letter for Rick in her bedroom, under her pillow, written in a hurry with a barely legible calligraphy.
Then she took advantage of the situation to get out of Alexandria without being seen and return to her home.

She wouldn't have prepared the last things for the attack as she had told Rick, it was all ready for days, Kat just wanted to go home and make sure that Negan was still there and make sure that he stayed a while longer.

She arrived home in a hurry and when she threw open the door he entered like a tornado shouting the name of the leader of the Saviors. Every room in which she entered and could not find him was one more step towards the abyss: controlled all the house Kat ran out to look for him around but there was no trace of him.

Shit! Shit! But where the hell is him?! How does a dying man disappear from nowhere? And now what do I do? Am I going to look for him? Maybe if I can find him in time I can still bring him back here... And if instead he was already at the Sanctuary... Well, I could try to avoid the clash even if it is unlikely now.

Kat took some things from home and went to the door ready to go out again: she would have walked the road to the Sanctuary hoping to find him.

She began to run, not caring for the noise she was making and one jump after another soon came far from home. After running for a long time the breathing was beginning to get heavy and the muscles tired but Kat could not give up now and pushed forward again, until she heard a strong bump on the back of her head and fell unconscious on the ground.

———————————
Good morning readers!
What do you think Kat wrote for Rick in her letter? What is gonna happen to Kat now?
Let me know with a comment, leave a star and see you next chapter! ❤