Chapter 56 - Your Death Or Mine?

Once outside, Negan was dazzled seeing all those lights in the distance, but he did not get discouraged and took time talking to Rick.

<Here I am Rick! Were you looking for me? You know... You interrupted what could have been a night of fire with Kat. You remember her, don't you?> He said, turning the knife into the wound, knowing that the wound was still fresh.

<Fuck you Negan! Come here and fight, coward!>

<Between the two of us I think you are the coward: you lie in wait in the middle of the night and bring all your little allies armed to the teeth... Yes, between the two of us you are definitely the coward>

While Negan was talking, an armored van had flung itself against the fence, knocking down a piece of it and causing a deafening noise.

<Give up Negan and we could think of saving you>

<I do not think so. Rather you would have to give up>

Negan waved a hand and a shower of bullets fell from the sky like a fury, puncturing the cars and injuring some men from the communities.

Rick and the others responded to the fire and without thinking twice they ran through the broken fence to enter the Sanctuary. Negan escaped to the back of the building knowing that Rick would follow him and once in the dark he had hidden.

When he heard Rick's steps stop suddenly he started whistling, spinning Lucille, and after having exposed himself he had spoken.

<Stupid little prik named Rick... Your ride ends here. You know, Kat had told me all about your arrival, so I thought I'd give you a surprise. Only for you, Rick> he said, laughing badly and suddenly turning on a circle of lights, he had lit up the cage in which he had just closed Rick.

The cage, or rather the arena, was circular and surrounded by a double layer of fence, illuminated by day and with a pole planted in the middle. Zombies were ready to shoot at the fence.

As soon as all the lights were turned on, Negan noticed that the pole was not as empty as he thought it was, but Kat was bound and gagged in terror, surrounded by those bloodthirsty monsters and locked up with Rick.

Rick looked at Kat, blinking his eyes and realizing that perhaps after all he had told him the truth and that she too was a victim of Negan.

<NOO!> Shouted Negan, seeing her and snapped towards the cage.

His men had already activated the mechanism and released the zombies that were heading for Rick. The man caught in fear had begun firing right and left, knocking some of them to the ground.

<Open this fucking cage idiots right away!> Negan shouted in anger <KAT!> He shouted, drawing her attention.

He met her gaze for a moment and saw the terror and despair in her eyes full of tears. A grip on his heart pushed Negan to run faster towards the cage and after coming to the door he tried to open it.

<Open it up! What are you waiting for, give me a hand idiots> he shouted, causing the other Saviours to come along.

Meanwhile, on the opposite side of the building, a veritable carnage was taking place, with no holds barred.

The communities were fighting vigorously against the Saviors and had no intention of saving anyone. The bullets bounced from all sides and jammed loudly into the vehicle bodies and surrounding walls. The men's screams were suddenly overwhelmed by what sounded as familiar as it was absurd: the fierce roar of a tiger. A tiger had been freed from a van that was sowing terror among the Saviours, biting and scratching the men as if they were stuffed toys. That animal, Shiva, as majestic as it was lethal was property of the King of the Kingdom, Ezekiel, who gave her orders that she obediently performed.

Between the turmoil and the fear of battle, no one had noticed Rick's absence.

Rick was still trying to keep up with the zombies, preventing them from going to Kat, who was trying to get free without success. Negan had started kicking the door of the cage trying to break it down but he ended up attracting only the zombies to him, which was fine because they were far from Kat but at the same time pressed against the door making his efforts useless to open it. Even with the help of the Saviours, the door didn't seem to open up, and as every second was vital, Negan decided to change his approach and sent his men to take shears and weapons. Those who remained with him were not in possession of guns because they had left them to the other Saviours struggling with the communities. Meanwhile, Rick was vigorously and relentlessly striking the zombies in the cage, running to keep them from reaching him and continuing to make noise to prevent them from catching up with Kat.

Negan looked powerless at the scene, locked out of the trap he had created but which he too was now a victim of. He placed his frantic gaze on the girl who in silence had now resigned herself to her destiny. Negan took off his jacket and threw it over the barbed wire, took Lucille and threw it over the fence and then climbed up and jumped into the cage.

<Kat! Hold on baby> he shouted, attracting everyone's attention. He grabbed Lucille and after crossing Rick's eyes, he had rushed towards the girl. He had tried to undo the knots but it was useless. He walked around the pole and, placing himself in front of Kat, had taken her face in his hands, looking into her eyes and wiping away the tears running down her face.

<We'll take you out of here, sweetheart> he said, kissing her quickly on the lips.

Kat nodded with a smile and noticed that Negan had used "we'll bring" instead of the singular, realizing that Negan was ready to work with Rick to save her.

<I love you, Negan> the girl whispered, but Negan had already turned and snapped to the zombies to help Rick and he had not heard.

______________________________________

Guys, I'm so incredibly sorry and I really got no words to tell you how sorry I am for not been posting for the past months... life has been a real struggle, trying to balance work and other things. But here we are now: new chapter! This book is coming to its end and I can't wait to let you read it.

Feel free to comment and see you soon (hopefully) :)