Chapter 30 - Loneliness

Negan raised his hands surrendering and, slowly moving away, headed for the door. He hated losing, especially against a woman.
When he got there, he put a hand on the handle, turned and with a mocking sneer told Kat:

<See you soon> and while he was closing the door, Kat threw the knife behind him, making it noisily sticking against the door.
On the other side Negan, having heard the blow, had turned for a moment to look at the piece of blade sticking out of the wood.

It's really my girlfriend. If she wasn't so stubborn and obstinate, together we could have conquered the world.

Negan had no resistance to leave because he was firmly convinced that by returning another time, Kat would have reconsidered it. And if didn't work, he would have abandoned her to her destiny: he could not prevent anyone or even his men from finding her and maybe they would have hurt her.

They were both wounded, each at its own way and they needed some time alone to understand that.

Negan made his way to the woods in the direction he had come from, and to make sure he found Kat's home, he made a mark on a tree from time to time. Only him would have to understand what those signs indicated.
He did not know if the other members of his team were still intent on looking for him but little did he care: he certainly didn't need to be defended or escorted.
Once back at the meeting place he saw that all the cars had disappeared.

Fuck.

He looked around trying to figure out if they had left traces but there was nothing. Since he was the one who divided the groups and assigned the areas to be scoured, he knew which way the teams had been sent to, but he didn't know if they were all back.

But where did those assholes go?
It was not enough the example of before to put them back in line? I will have to use more drastic solutions then...

Negan started walking alone, following the road to go home. It had not been long before he came across a herd of walkers too big to be able to get rid of it alone with Lucille.
He decided to bypass it without being seen and went into the woods. He stopped for a moment to observe the herd and noticed that it was far too big to be improvised. It seemed to have been "organized". He decided not care about it anymore and started walking again, making Lucille spins, which he often did. Suddenly he heard a blast in the distance and accidentally loosened his grip by throwing Lucille away.

<Nooo! Lucille!> he shouted.

He had not noticed the fact that he had just screamed and caught the attention of the herd, and as if that was not enough, he had begun to run to take her back. The bat had got stuck in a tree and when Negan was below it, did not hesitate to climb over it to retrieve her. Ignoring that the walkers were following him.

When he finally managed to get her back and looked down, he saw he was trapped: he was surrounded by a carpet of walkers that would horrify anyone. He couldn't have faced them all and certainly not without being hurt, which is the same as being infected.
Shortly after, another blast was heard this time closer and then shots fired to attract the attention of the walkers who were already coming back.

Negan breathed a sigh of relief and waited for the walkers to be far enough away to get off.
When the time came, he dropped Lucille near the trunk.

Sorry baby.

Then he turned his face toward the tree to begin to descend but was stuck with his jacket in a branch. Damn! He gave a tug, the branch broke causing him to fall ruinously from behind and banging his head on Lucille.

He opened his eyes between a groan of pain and the other, touched his head and the last thing he saw was his bloody hand.