Switcheroo

Mabel's POV

I stand frozen in place as Macie slowly descends onto the attic floor. She lands with a thump and Dipper, who was also frozen,  grips his hat, hard, and panics. "Oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man, oh man, oh MAN!" He paces around, still gripping his head, and his eyes are widened in fear. I push past the boy, since he was pacing in front of me, and cradle Macie's head so it wasn't on the floor.

"DIPPER!" My anxious brother ceases his movement and stares at me, beads of sweat falling down his face. He slowly releases his death grip on his, now wrinkled, hat. "Look, I'm freaking out right now, too, but Macie needs our help." I tell him, surprisingly calm. 'Dipper must think so, too, given the look he was shooting me before snapping out of it and helping me elevate Macie.'

We sit our sister up against my bed frame, still on the floor. "Uh, uh- okay- wh-what now?" Dipper stutters, taking off his iconic pine tree hat and rubbing his hand up through his hair. I go to answer but abruptly close my mouth at the sound of Macie's voice. I see that Dipper went silent and looked over as well.

I furrow my eyebrows in attempts to understand what she's mumbling. "Did you catch any of that?" I look to my equally confused brother. He only shakes his head 'no'. Shaking my head to clear lingering thoughts, I readdress Dipper, "Well, we need to go get h-help right? M-maybe an ambulance?" I curse myself internally for stuttering. 'Stay strong, Mabel! Dipper is losing it and I have to keep his head high! I can't drop my facade!' I put on my best determined look I could forge.

"R-right, I'll call an ambulance!" He shakily takes his phone out from his shorts' pocket and then starts shakily dialing nine one one.

Seeing that he's doing that, I glance down to Macie and crawl over to her on my knees. Studying her face, I see that it's contorted in confusion, anger, and maybe sadness? I plop down next to her and think to myself for a way to comfort an unconscious person. I decide to pet her hair, maybe that'll work.

It doesn't seem to work because her expressions are still the same. I faintly hear Dipper's voice as he speaks to, I'm assuming, the operator, or maybe even the police. I don't know, I've never called nine one one before. I stare off into space after that.

'What even happened? One minute we were arguing...again.... and when she tried to back up her claim, she just, stopped... and... stared off into nothingness...This just doesn't make any sense! Dipper and I would have known if it was an attack so that crosses that off, and she didn't shake really hard which indicates...what did mom and dad call it? Oh right. A seizure...so it wasn't that. Dipper must be like this because he also doesn't know what it is...' I sadly look at Macie and give her a hug.

Her eyelids flicker as I do so and I see it happen in my peripheral vision. I gasp and back up to see her better but Dipper bursts into the room just as I do so, demanding my fully attention.

"Okay, the ambulance will be here soon." He tosses his phone onto his bed as I follow it with my eyes. "Is she okay?" His eyes look over our sister as he kneels down to feel her forehead. 'Ugh, why didn't I think of that?!'  "She doesn't seem to be running a fever, so that's good." I breathe a sigh of relief when he says that, mostly to himself but it helped me, nonetheless.

"D-Dipper?" He looks over to me as I look away, not wanting him to see my eyes tearing up, "Macie, she-she'll be okay...right?" I look him straight in the eyes this time, not wanting him to lie to make me feel better. Us triplets know when the other is lying if we look into the eyes.

He tries to take his eyes off mine but he knows it's fruitless, so he sighs and locks gazes again, "I-I don't know, Mabel. She's never done this before and I have no idea what to think of it...maybe we should try looking it up?" I release the bated breath I didn't know I was holding.