It's Dangerous To Go Alone, So Take The Girls!

"What could go wrong? The board game?" I raise an eyebrow as the twins shove a box into my face. "Sounds legit," I deadpan but smile. 

"Yup!" Mabel excites.

"This should take up the next twenty one minutes..." Dipper looks over the game box.

"Wow, you did the math to estimate the time it'll take for us to play?" I ask. He flushes and shrugs when I realize something. "Wait, but you said it'll take twenty one minutes in the show, and you're saying it now but if it would take twenty one minutes with just the two of you, why doesn't it take longer now that I'm here?" I finish all in one breath.

The twins just stare at me, blinking simultaneously. "You lost me," Mabel says.

Before any of us can respond, a voice calls out, "Family meeting! Family meeting!"

I roll my eyes but get slapped in the chest soon after I hear footsteps pitter-patter down the hall. Dipper gives me a discerning look, so I blow in his face and run after our sister.

I enter the living room with my siblings, in which Mabel waited for us at the doorway, then told me to wait for Dipper, and see Ford, who sets down a thing of scrolls, "Ah, children. Come in, come in." 

"Ooh, mysterious scrolls and potions! Are you going to tell us we're finally of age to go to wizard school? In there an owl in this bag!" Mabel gapes at all the magical looking items.

The old man quickly closes his bag.  "No! I can assure you if there's an owl in this bag, he's long dead." Mabel frowns deeply at this. 

"Hey, couldn't you be any more," I twirl my hand around, looking for the right word, "sympathetic?" 'Nailed it!'

"Eh?" Ford gets taken aback. I sigh at his obliviousness.

"I don't know about you, but straight out saying that if an owl was in that bag that it'd be long dead, is not very nice to say to a twelve year old." I gesture to Mabel defensively.

"Well it's true! And why would I have an owl in my bag ready to tell you that you all are ready to go to some wizard school?!" Ford bites back.

I kneel up in my chair, my hands down on the table, "Because  it's a reference to a popular book and movie series where when you're of age, you get a letter to go to wizard school! So she was being a normal twelve year old girl with an over-active imagination!" Dipper looks between us nervously. "She's just being her cheerful self, you didn't have to be so blatantly rude..." I frown and look away.

Ford does not say anything as he continues to glare at me, so I return the look just as intensely. I hear Dipper speak up in a shrill and anxious voice, "H-hey! Macie, could I talk to you for a minute...alone?"

"Sure." I hop out of my chair and follow the boy out into the hallway.

"What the heck was that!?" Dipper startles me when he shouts quietly.

"What?! I was defending Mabel! Ford was being rude." I cross my arms and avoid his stare.

He sighs, "Macie, you and Ford are already on thin ice, why are you so aggressive towards him and making everything so much worse?"

"Yeah you're right. I'm sorry for not liking the way he treats Mabel and I while you're over in VIP land or something..." I burst sarcastically.

"Not what I meant...but really, you need to be on Ford's good side so he knows to trust you!"

"Pfft," I wave, "why should I even trust him? Considering he lied when doing that test on me and then tells me to leave the room only to tell you what he's been doing?"