b u d d y

scaliente@gmail.com  =  Shane

  jaxontaylor@talktalk.com  = Jaxon

From: scaliente@gmail

From: scaliente@gmail.com

To: jaxontaylor@talktalk.com

Hey buddy,

Can I even call you that anymore? It makes me feel kind of nostalgic actually to say the word 'buddy'. I can't remember the last time I ever said such a word. It's one of those throw away words that no one really thinks about before using. You know that kind of thing when you say ,'thanks mate', to the guy who just cleared up your hotel room when you're not really his mate at all because you've never met him before? 

It's that kind of thing.

Me, being the careless sort of idiot that I am, failed to notice how much throw away words can mean to people. Someone helped me realize the sort of impact of the words we say and that's why I had a bit of trouble starting this e-mail. How can I call you, 'buddy', if we hardly even speak anymore?  More importantly, why am I doing this over e-mail? To answer both of those questions I guess it's because I'm beginning to take a new approach to things now. 

Even if I don't mean the word 'buddy' when I write it I should probably write it anyway because if I don't then you will become offended and most likely refuse the favor that I am about to ask you for. According to books, it's called 'wooing' although I'm not too sure that it counts when you're writing to your ex-best friend instead of your ex-girlfriend. 

I also don't think it counts as wooing if you just told the person your devious reasons for wooing someone.

So I guess it's more like bribery.

I call you 'buddy' if you let me have the day off this weekend. I guess that's why I'm using e-mail and not asking you directly. I know for a fact that you get all your business done by talking via e-mail. I remember you saying once that it felt easier that way, so as not to see people's expressions when you told them bad news. So, I thought this would be a brilliant opportunity. I'm e-mailing you as a client. I guess it's kind of saying that I've come to accept that we aren't exactly the closest anymore, more like a colleague. A colleague that you get a fair amount of money from.

We really didn't think this whole 'best-friend-manager-thing' through, did we? I guess it was all the dream. The kind of dream a teenager dreams of when they've had enough of their procrastination session that has lasted for at least three hours. I can still remember us laughing at lunch as we imagined ourselves strolling down the red carpet with sunglasses hiding our eyes and clothes that cost more than our houses. 

I've come to realize that that's just the thing. Everyone wants to do something great with their life, to be noticed, to be remembered when they die. No one wants to die unnoticed. However, I've come to the point where I've realized that there's no point in being remembered if you are remembered for the wrong reasons. 

The way I'm going I'm going to be remembered for the wrong reasons.

Disregarding all of that emotional garbage the reason I am writing this in the first place is because of someone who will be remembered for all the right reasons, or at least she will in my books. She may not be known by everyone but I believe that's what makes this kind of remembrance special. When she leaves us she will have made such an impact on the ones that do know her that she will have truly changed people's lives. That is so much more special than fame. Instead of a detached feeling of loss that is carried out through a news flash at six am in the morning, it's personal. That kind of thing can't be made by fame. 

I want to be remembered for the right reasons.

I want her to be given a better chance than she's been given.

So I'm asking for the day off.

I'm asking for the day off from my manager/ex-best-friend because I want a chance to be remembered for the right reasons too.

From,

Shane.

PS: All this fancy language sprouted from Google. I felt like I had to use fancy ass language to persuade you so here it is. I have no idea what half of these words mean but I hope it makes sense. If it doesn't then this is going to be a really weird e-mail to read.

PPS: Even if you say no I'm still going.

PPPS: That last line didn't exactly win you over, did it?