h o r i z o n

Cleo = Italics

Lewis = Bold Underlined

Shane had been dreading this moment, even if he hadn't known it himself

Shane had been dreading this moment, even if he hadn't known it himself. It was one of those things that was always a black horizon in the mind, never quite shining dawn on his thoughts. However, now that it had finally come he couldn't help but beg for the night to come once more. 

"As much as I enjoy your company," Shane tensed as the words left Cleo's mouth, shoulders raised as he prepared himself for what was to come, "this visit isn't really for my benefit." Shane's pulse rose to the beat of a hummingbird, wings beating painfully against the cage of his lungs. The cursed moment had come and he wasn't exactly sure if it was going to end in once upon a time. He knew that if he was asked to speak at that moment all that would have left his mouth would have been a few strangled emotions. "Shane here...he...he's been beating himself up about a certain incident that had a large impact on all three of you."

Shane refused to meet Cleo's eyes, gaze continuing to penetrate the ground beneath his feet like the coward he was. Cleo had generously left a door open for him to walk through; a chance to finally let out all of the notes he had tied up in a bottle that had been long out at sea. He was just too afraid to reach for it. The prospect of what lay on the other side of the door terrified him more than he cared to admit.

Heather was looking at him with a frown, eyebrows arched and features etched into a picture of curious concern. He felt a chip in his heart with the knowledge that his next words would turn her expression sour. Unfortunately for his fragile piece of mind, something rational was telling him that closure was not the best way to earn smiles.

Shane had not yet realized how much his harsh breathing stained the surrounding silence. A tear made its way down his face, tinting the skin as it passed. Body shaking as much as his emotions, he almost jumped out of his skin when a calloused hand came to rest on his shoulder.

Caught off guard, he looked up into the eyes of a father who had lost everything he had once had due to Shane's careless actions. The father, despite the odds stacking against him, was softly smiling at him. Guilt erupted in Shane's chest. How could he be so selfish as to cry when he had not lost anything? He had lost nothing at all and yet he was the one crying. How could he be so self-centred as to use up all of the sadness and despair for himself?

"It's okay son. I forgive you." Before Shane knew what was happening he was pulled into a firm hug, crying into the shoulder of the man who was never supposed to forgive him.

Sometimes actions speak louder than words.