s h a k e

Shane's hand shook for the entire duration of the car journey, clutching the phone that was in its possession

He watched a raindrop dance down the window in jagged lines that somehow managed to form a correlation. His eyes traced its path as the raindrop performed its sorrowful presentation. It kept his mind entertained, more fascinated with the idea of where the raindrops went once they reached the bottom of the car window than his actual problems. Like, for example, where he would go once he reached the bottom of the window. He was dangerously close and he knew it.

His eyes flicked up to watch a new drop fall onto the glass and tumble down, collecting more water as it went.

He would not allow his mind to wonder. Or wander for that matter. He wasn't entirely sure which was worse than the other. For, if it did either of the traitorous w's, then he would see it all. He would see the shivering girl with nothing to keep her warm but the cold memoir of his abandonment.  Shane cursed himself for not putting up more of a fight, missing the way Jaxon cringed as he let out the repeated, condemning curse words. 

He damned himself for not calling to see if she was alright.

Deep down, of course, he knew the truth.

He had finally come to terms with the fact that the world he lived in was indeed a dark one. One filled with secrets, lies, jealousy, rivalry and enough poison to decay a mind. Knowing her, she wouldn't care. He could almost imagine how that conversation would go. She would insist to stay with him whilst he would demand she left. In the end, he would give in. He always did. He always would. With her, he was doomed to lose a battle of words. Yes, he could put words to music but she...she could actually make them mean something.

She would not leave him. He knew that, somehow. No matter how poisoned his world became she would refuse to leave.

Perhaps that's what terrified him most.