m o v i e s

Movies always made things look easy.

In her mind, Cleo could picture countless times in which the protagonist had taken on the villain. Her mind had taken on the role of conjuring up the confident stride of a hero as they made their way over to their designated opponent before promptly proceeding to use their fists as a means of justice. Cleo's ears were filled with the voices of every female ever created by the mystery of imagination, their heads held high as they delivered lines that made a witty social critique to the world on the other side of the screen.

Leaning against the wall, she had to remind herself that life was nothing like that. The world behind the television screen was completely different to the world she lived in. Unlike the world hiding behind a screen, there was no black and white. In reality, good and evil blurred together in order to create the messy palette of the human race.

Cleo had finally come to realize that becoming a villain was the most terrifying thing that could possibly happen to a person. It was, however, inevitable. It was impossible to save everyone, just as it was impossible to damage everyone. For every person saved a new one was damaged. For every new hero, a villain was formed. For every person she rescued, a person in the shadows was overlooked. For every smile she drew, a grin would be washed away. There was nothing she could do about it. Cleo simply needed to accept that it was the way the world worked. There was a sick balance and she just had to hope that she was on the right end of the scale.

Life was not like the stories her head was filled with.

She could not save everyone.

But that didn't mean that she couldn't try.

It was with this confidence that she stepped into the corridor, badass music playing through her headphones.