c r a c k s

Shane = Bold

Cleo = Italics

"Is that intentional?" Cleo's voice was soft, barely rising above the mundane sounds of the busy city that threatened to swallow her whole. People covered every inch of the cracked pavement, swarming around the couple in every possible direction. Somehow, by some twisted movie miracle, their hands managed to stay clasped together despite the chaos that surrounded them.

Shane cursed colourfully as their joined hands caused the slight malfunction of walking around a lamppost. Ignoring Cleo's amused laugh as she untangled herself from the lamppost, he proceeded to answer her question. "Is what intentional?"

Cleo gave him nothing but a shrug and a small smile in response, tugging him to the side in order to dodge a suited man rapidly tapping away on his phone as if his life depended on it. "You've somehow managed to avoid stepping on any cracks in the pavement which," she paused, pressing the button that would cause the traffic to halt for little more than a few seconds, "is kind of a miracle seeing as this pavement is full of cracks."

Shane diverted his gaze and, silently thanking the hoodie and sunglasses that shielded his expression, clenched his jaw as painfully as his features would allow. He tightened his grip on her hand, advancing forward into the road that had now ceased of all movement due to the red light that broadcasted its sign to the oncoming traffic. "It's dumb." His voice sounded like one of a man held captive by hands encasing his vocal chords. "I...I can't help it."

He tightened his grip.

He walked faster.

He reached the middle of the road.

She stopped him.

Much like the traffic on either side of her, Cleo had discontinued her journey for a brief few seconds. People moved past the pair, not sparing the stalled couple so much as a glance. As much as a young duo holding onto each other in the middle of the road intrigued them, they had places to be.

This was London. Everyone had a place to be even if they didn't. It was just the way it worked. Every stride was taken with purpose but no direction.

The darkness of Shane's glasses could only shade so much of the brightness that Cleo's smile radiated. "It's okay. You can tell me." Her arms were wrapped around him. He was home. Home. It did not matter they were standing in the middle of a road in which the light could turn green at any second because he was home. Home. She was here. He was home.

Shane took a deep breath, chest tight with all the emotions that weighed down on him. "I...I just feel like that if I step on a crack something really, really bad is going to happen and...and that can't happen. Not now. Not...not now that everything is perfect."

He was crying.

She was holding him.

He was safe.

He was home.

The light turned green.

She pulled him out of danger just as the danger raised to strike him.

They were laughing.

"You know what, Lost Boy? That was actually pretty movie worthy. Well done."