Chapter 9

-VALERIE'S P.O.V-

I promised. And I'm trying. This relationship is rather tense, easy to break and I don't like that idea.
But I'm here... baby shopping. It's so weird.
"You want to go look for clothes or anything?"
"We don't know gender, Val."
"Hm. Maybe we need to go to a doctor for that?"
"Matter of when."
"Let's just get the basics right now. Tomorrow I can try and get you in somewhere."
"Alright."
We're get everything we can right now. A few unisex blankets. She got a couple stuffed animals. One of a tiger, which Misty most likely will get mad at. A ton of diapers and formula.
    Not baby food. Not yet anyway.
"If the baby doesn't like the baby food and needs us to try it to actually try it themselves, I'm not doing it."
"I don't want to do that."
"Hey. I'm having the kid. You can suffer the nasty baby food stage."
I end up laughing loudly to the way she had said it. I've missed her so much. I'm just scared that this will go south again.
I teleport us and our things ...to her place. I haven't worked out what I'm going to do. I don't know, honestly.
She sits down as I take care of everything. Putting it all away. Or setting it up.
Her eyes stay on me. She's afraid I'll leave again.. And I don't blame her. It's just different.
"I love your creations. The house, the cradle, crib and dollhouse. They're all beautiful."
"I had inspiration. I also wanted best for you two. I have to give what's best so you can be happy." Though I meant it for it to be them, not I. I don't know now.
"You staying with me is all I ever need to be happy. Sure, all of this is great. It's awesome. It's just not a home without you."
I smile to her. "You could make any place a home."
I can tell she's searching for more from me but I don't know how to offer. It's not my house. Not my home. It's hers. If she wants me to stay, she will ask.
I lift her in a cradle hold and start walking to the bedroom. I lay her down and then grab a few things before sitting with her. I turn on the tv and search for a movie.
She enjoys kid movies, I don't mind it. We watch spongebob instead of a movie. I'm glad I was able to get a signal and everything out here for her.
She curls up next to me and I lay next to her. She gets as close to me as she can and I hold her.
"Can we nap?"
I mute the tv for her and cover her. "Yeah, Nin."
As she falls asleep, I do same. Maybe I can sleep properly. Hopefully.

I wake to her. Her beauty. But she still sleeps.
I wish I could go back and prevent this. But I can't take back that kill. It doesn't even haunt me that I killed my father without a care other than her..at first.
But it's all the same now. I'm trapped in pain from Ninfa. However we try to mend it, the pain is still there.
I very lightly kiss her forehead. She doesn't wake, which is a good thing. She's pregnant and needs the sleep to keep her well rested and keep her strength up.
I teleport home. Joel is burning the late night oil. He immediately looks up at me.
"Hey, where have you been?"
"Don't act like you don't know."
"I told her it was a 50/50."
"Well, I think we're back together. It's just it's fragile. Like if I do something wrong or if she does anything wrong, it will shatter." Like she could ever do anything wrong. I'm not even mad she kept our baby from me, she didn't have the chance to tell me, not the time to think of how. I understand.
"You guys broke up for a stupid reason. A reason with basically no reason. If you stay, things will return to normal at some point. If she would have listened to you and you wouldn't have been a heartless, things would have been alright. Just stay with her. You're an ass without, sad and unhappy. Stay."
"I promised on her light I would."
"Then why are you here?"
"I need my clothes. I'm also wondering if you can find us a doctor whom could help us with the baby check up thingy?"
"I can look." He begins to type on his computer rather fast.
I run to my room and gather a few clothes. Not many but enough for a few days. It's not my house, I'm a visitor.
I rush back in and Joel hands me a paper. Address, names, time. "Thank you."
"Valerie, stay with her. I miss you when you're happy. I miss when you're free."
"I promised."
"Are you going to move in with her?"
"I'm a guest. She hasn't invited me to stay permanently."
He sighs and nods. "See you later, Valerie."
"You know it." I smirk.
He laughs at me and shakes his head.
I teleport to her house. She still sleep. I wonder if I can make breakfast for her before she wakes.
I take my clothes and put them in the drawer in the spare bedroom. Heading downstairs into the kitchen, I begin my task of cooking. Cooking is rather fun.
I've never really cooked much. I can cook. I make a good steak. Great tacos. But I've never really cooked for a purpose.
I use what there is here. I need to do some food shopping for her again.. but..
I mean.. eggs, toast, coffee, oj, biscuits and gravy. It's probably too much... But she needs to eat.
I set everything up and as I'm finished lining up the foods, she appears in the doorway. She smiles and it makes my heart race. For a moment her hand shakes and so can see questions rise in her eyes but she doesn't speak.
"Speak your mind, Ninfa."
"Why the big breakfast?"
"Got to feed my loves. Plus you were asleep and I had the time."
Her eyes shine brightly to my words. I can't tell if it's from the thought of food or because I called her my love. But it's strange. It's different.
"Well, don't let it get cold, Nin."
She walks over and stands on her tippy toes. She kisses my cheek lightly.
"Thank you."
I begin fixing my plate once she is done. The moment she's done eating, she grabs seconds. The whole eating for two thing is false but damn can this woman eat.
The left overs go to Misty. Who makes a mess all over the floor as she slurps the gravy from the pan. I end up cleaning the mess up, she apologized for it but Misty was always bound to make a mess.
Have you ever heard a tiger burp? It's quite funny. It made Ninfa laugh. Her laugh made me smile. Weird situation.
It takes a moment to notice I'm being dragged one direction by Ninfa. I begin following willingly. "What are we doing?"
"I want to show you something."
She drags me all the way to the baby's room. The wall, my words, there is something added to them.
'Strong and brave like your protecter.'
That feels so weird to think I'm going to be a mom? I feel like I'm only like 25. And not 1501. I feel old as shit but immature enough to find it odd being a mother. Or parent, as she said.
After a moment of silence, she yawns heavily. She's noticeably tired. It's interesting how much sleep she's gotten lately. But I will give her a cloud to sleep on if need be.
I take her hand in mine. "We can nap when we get back. Joel helped out and got us an appointment."
"That's great."
"Why do I have the feeling you're talking about the nap?"
"Cause I was. Us figuring out the sex will be awesome. But the thought of sleep. I have grown to love sleep. I blame it on the baby."
The way she speaks is innocent. It's funny. It's cute. It's adorable. It always has been.
We get ready to leave. She showers but I denied her offer to join. I will shower later.
Getting to the appointment it fun. I mean, it's not. We have to deal with humans. They're so rude sometimes it makes you wonder why.
And here she is, about to lay on a table. My heart won't stop racing. We're about to see our baby for the first time. I'm about to hear it's heartbeat for the first time. We're going to know the sex in a few moments.
I help her lay down and get set up. The doctor begins. I'm also worried shitless.
What if she dies in childbirth? What if that's the one thing that can kill her? Or what if something is wrong with the baby? Or .. or.. so many other worries.
Her hand lightly squeezes mine.
"Do you know how far along you are?"
"About 7."
"Hm. Mhm. According to the growth, you are."
He continues looking. And then.. And then I hear it. Its heartbeat. Its precious heartbeat. I'm in smiles to it.
"Do you wish to know the sex?"
"Yes. We do." Ninfa answers quickly.
The moment of truth. The second of understanding. The steps to knowledge. It all takes so long.
"Well, your baby girl is perfectly healthy."
Girl. The baby is a girl. I can't help my damn smile to it. And she's healthy... It's perfect.
"Now, I don't mean to be rude. I can tell you two are close but do you know who the father is and do you need any aid from the government?"
I almost choke to his question. Almost. I'm sorry it's awkward for you? Cause damn this awkward.
"Um.. She's the father. And I don't think I need any help."
"She's both genders?"
I just nod to him. He smiles in a creepy way. As if he's like trying not to make it awkward but it already is.
"To be honest with you, love is a rare thing. The acceptance of this woman for who you are is a blessing."
"I know. I know. She's an angel." ....But this conversation about my dick when I have it is rather uncomfortable.
"You guys are good to go. I would be expecting around December."
If.. If.. She's born.. if she's born on my birthday..
I take Ninfa's hand and help her up. We make it to the bathroom and I teleport to her place.
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm okay."
"I didn't want things to grow weird or awkward. His question threw me off."
"Did me too, Nin."
She stands up slightly and kisses my cheek. "Can we nap now? I'm rather tired. The baby puts a sleeping spell on me."
I laugh to her joke. Though in a way I know she's not kidding. I feel bad but it's all so adorable.
I lift her easily and walk up the stairs to the bedroom. As I lay her down, she doesn't let go of me.
"Sleep with me?"
"I'm not leaving." I had thought about it. Leaving to sleep in the other room. This is not my bed. None of this is mine...
She releases me. I undress a little and she does the same. As I climb into the bed, she clings onto me.
I'm instantly warm. And feel somewhat at home. Almost.. it was a good day.
It was a good day. A day I didn't get crushed completely. A day where we had fun together after a while.