Seesaw pt.2

A/N: ohh did I finally keep my promise about making a second part😲?
—-

Two years, 4 months and 14 days. That's how long it had been since then.
She moved on, and even if she knew counting the days wouldn't do her any better, she did it anyway. Call it involuntary instincts, but she didn't care what her family or friends warned about.
She still counted, after everything. After everything that had happened, she still wouldn't throw away the things that used to made her whole like, as the sayings would say, make her fly over clouds or spring over continents and continents. And, at the same time, she still wouldn't throw away the things that made her broken, like lost artefacts thrown in the storm of the sea, never to be found for centuries.
After everything, she never threw away the things that were given by him, because without those, she would never have realized how far she had made it.
Moving on was one thing, but she could never forget how those other memories were the most precious she had ever encountered. She had decided long ago to keep the happy memories.
It wouldn't have worked, she kept telling herself, but the thought of trying to put a bit more effort on what could or could not have happened always burdened her mind now and then.
Maybe if things worked some other way, she wouldn't be sitting in a coffee shop alone, a gem absent on her finger. Just maybe.
But that was just a relationship that, decided by fate, wouldn't have worked out.
She took a deep breath, shaking her head a bit before flipping another page of her book. Her gaze landed on a word and she scoffed a bit too loudly, causing certain glances to land her way. She cleared her throat, pretended like nothing happened.
'Forgive.'
Oh, she was never mad at him. The fault wasn't just pointed at him, after all. She was mad at herself for not realizing it sooner that they both had to separate ways. Or that she couldn't afford a one-sided love. There was nothing to forgive him about, therefore.
Slowly putting the book down as if something just dawned on her, she looked up, a frown appearing on her features.
"Why the hell am I thinking about it so much now," she mumbled under her breath, leaning back on her chair, crossing her arms and tilting her head so she could stare at the ceiling. Something hit her, and she looked around the place she was relaxing at.
Moving one was one thing, but as she realized that, out of all coffee shops, she came to the one where she had her first date with him, she didn't exactly think she got the hint.
She let out a groan and pinched the bridge of her nose. She gave a tip before exiting the shop. "I really need to stop doing this," she sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose, before walking away.

"I really need to stop doing this," he huffed, looking up at the coffee shop name.
It was the second time he came here this week, and who knows how many times he came during this month.
Maybe he only liked the expressos they served, or how clean the place was.
Maybe he cherished the late-night dates they both shared in this place, after a day of not seeing each other. The thought of the two of them wearing pajamas just to fill up some midnight cravings always brought a faint smile on his face.
He clearly remembered how she would walk to her university, always taking a stop by this place at 9 in the morning. He then changed his map so he, too, could hopefully cross ways with her. He remembered how excited he was whenever he spotted her and even if the change of map took him an extra hour to get to his school, after seeing how he could always muster a smile on her face, he knew it was worth it.
"Fuck, it's freezing," he rubbed his hands together and walked in.
He stopped at the counter, muttering a small hello to the cashier, eyes scurrying around on the menu.
"Are we ready to order?" The cashier asked, and he nodded.
"A medium caramel Frappuccino- Wait, no," he shook his head, realizing his mistake.
His friends told him in order to move on, he had to forget anything related to her, even if it meant forgetting her favorite drink. "A small expresso Macchiato, please."
He stepped back, waiting.
He often wondered how you were doing, after that horrible breakup. He knew he messed up. He knew he was stupid, yet he did it anyway. The damage was done, and they both left it like that, without fixing the pieces.
He could've done so much more, but that's all in the past now. He missed his chance, and she wasn't going to come back just so they can live a happily ever after, just like in fairy tales. That's now how life worked.
He heard his name being called, momentarily snapping him out of his thoughts. The drink was served, and he thanked the lady before finding a seat. The room was almost full but, fortunately, one table seemed vacant for him.
"Or maybe not," he whispered, disappointed. In front of him, an opened book was placed on the left side of the table. He looked around, seeing if anyone was making their way there. He looked at the bathroom, but it was empty.
He shrugged, telling himself someone had forgotten their book, and sat down after taking his black coat and white scarf off. He took a sip of his expresso and out of curiosity, he grabbed the book in his hand.
The name sounded familiar, but knowing him, he probably read it off online because he doesn't read for a hobby.
He noticed a bookmark placed in the middle of the pages and opened it to have a look. His eyes immediately spotted a certain word, making him scoff out loud.
'Hated.'
"Yeah, I kinda got the hint," he rolled his eyes and quickly apologized for having disturbed his neighbor.
He tried calling her once or twice but after the calls weren't received, he assumed she was done with him, and he couldn't blame her. He beat himself around ever since.
He saw her once after the breakup. She was far, but he couldn't have missed her for the world. Her beautiful shade of hair grew, he noticed how she lost a couple of weight making him slightly worried if she was healthy but all of that quickly vanished when she turned around and the air got sucked out of him.
She was standing near a bench, eyes crinkled, and a big smile on her as she was speaking to her friends. She looked so new and unsullied. Never in his life did he see her like that, with a refreshed mind.
While it made him happy of her joy, it also made him heartbroken. He could've stepped in, and maybe catch up with her but he knew it wasn't that easy. He didn't want to ruin the aura she held, just because he was selfish. He didn't want her expression to morph into horror if she had spotted him. If she was happy with his existence forgotten, then so be it.
They ended on bad terms, and he never spoke about it with anyone, deciding to deal with his nightmares alone. However, he never threw away the good memories they shared.
From taking runs at 6 in the morning after a cheat day off chips and drinks to dates by the rivers and fairs, he kept them all in his heart, because it was his safe place – second after her.
He also kept all the things that held meaning to her, from the bigger carboard boxes to even the smaller velvet box hiding somewhere under his bed. He knew he should think things carefully but buying that was the thing he had never regretted till this day.
'I fell out of love with you,' he remembered telling her that, and seeing how much he shattered her, that was his biggest regret. How inhumane could've he had gotten? He felt rotten.
But that wall all in the past, and they both had moved on. Well, he wished she did, at least. She never deserved the horrible things he did to her.
Blinking, he closed the book. His eyes were starting to burn a bit, but he quickly hid anything that would show him weak. Looking up at the clock, he grabbed his drink before standing up. Putting on his coat, he peered outside the window, watching as people minded their own businesses.
He glanced down at the book. It wasn't his type of thing to do, but one in a while, he figured why not. If the owner wasn't there, then it wouldn't be so bad as to take it.
He grabbed the book and walked outside the door, muttering a small apology after bumping someone running in.

"Excuse me!" The girl waved her hand at an employee of the coffee shop. The employee raised her head and cocked an eyebrow.
"Um, did you see a book put down on table 4, perhaps? I left it there, by accident," she admitted sheepishly.
The worker shook her head. "No. We don't take responsibility over lost items, ma'am," she reminded the girl, making her sigh.
The girl went back to the table she sat at earlier and stomped her feet. "Honestly, me, how stupid can you get for forgetting your favorite book?"
She looked around the shop, not getting any sign of anyone or anything that had her book. Giving another exasperated sigh, she was about to walk out defeated before something caught her eye.
Placed on the seat of a chair, she saw a white scarf. Normally, she would just let it be but seeing how beautiful and expensive looking it was, she slowly took it in her hands.
'Smells really nice,' she thought, sniffing it. The scent felt familiar, but she couldn't place a finger on it.
She looked around for anyone having another unlucky day like her, searching for their lost clothing but it seemed that the owner already left.
She dusted off the scarf a bit before wrapping it around her neck. Strangely, she immediately felt warm. She knitted her eyebrows, examining the piece of clothing. 'Is this what you call high quality? Wouldn't be so bad as to take it. I mean, either they throw it away or I take care of it, right?'
Shrugging her thoughts away, she made her way out again.

"Shit, shit, shit," he mumbled under his breath, hurrying as fast as he could back to the coffee shop.
Because he was too busy enjoying his drink, the poor man forgot his scarf that was given to him by his mother. If his mother knew about it, he wouldn't have seen the light of tomorrow.
Now there he was, zig-zagging through the crowd like a bee aiming for her honeycomb. He made a mental note to go back to the gym because right now, he lost all his cardio.
To be honest, if it wasn't for the main character that lived in Norway in the book he had grabbed earlier, he wouldn't even have remembered even wearing one the whole time.
Finally arrived at his destination, he crouched down to catch his breath.
People looked at him as if he had just run from another country.
He stood up, wiping the sweat away from his forehead and "casually" walked in.
He was about to turn to go in before the door opened and someone bumped him by accident.
"Sorry," a voice said. 
He was about to brush her off before something caught his eyes, and he gasped before whirling around, grabbing the scarf. "T-That's mine-"
"Ah!" The woman stumbled back, surprised by the sudden pull of her scarf. Furious at that kind of behaviour, she spun around and slapped his hand away. "Are you insane?! I could've-"
Their eyes met, and the world stopped.
It always felt like decades whenever someone meets an old friend and they just had to catch up but with old lovers? It felt like millennials. 
She would've never thought that she could see the pair of eyes that always held meaning every time they landed on her being. The same could be said for him, too.
She should've just ignored him. After how coldly she was thrown away? He wouldn't have blamed her.
But all those thoughts quickly washed away, and all was left was them staring each other in awe as how the other looked like an angel.
"H-Hey," she blinked, hearing the voice of the person she had cherished the most. He scratched his neck, a nervous chuckle let out. "It's been long, right? How have you... been?
Her fingers clenched and unclenched. She didn't know what to say. She was supposed to hate him, she was supposed to push him away, she was supposed to keep her dignity.
When her friends did their bet to comfort her after the breakup, she told them that if she had ever seen him again, she would stick her middle finger at him and walk away like the powerful woman she always was.
That was just big talk, and now she felt like the elephant hiding behind the small tree, too scared to even look at the mouse peacefully eating her snack.
She looked at the ground, burdened. Her mind was in a frenzy. She didn't know how much he affected like that, and she just didn't know what to do.
The prolonged silence was clear to him.
He sighed, tightening his lips together. He accepted the fact that that kind of treatment was what he deserved after what he had done but still, he felt like someone stabbed a knife in his heart and twisted it endlessly.
"Sorry, I wasn't being considerate," she looked up at him, noticing his forced smile. "I'll go. But it was really, really nice to see you again."
He bowed his head a bit before turning around, trying to keep his composure till he came back to his apartment and lock himself for days. All that talk about wanting to see her again, and he was the one to leave first? He didn't even try to make amends.
But, really, ever since they both parted ways, his heart never warmed up so high at the sight of her. If he was manlier, he would've hugged you.
But he wasn't, and till his death, he would never stop torturing himse-
"That's my book," his head snapped up, and he turned around again to look at her.
She was rubbing her hands to warm them and blowing at them before meeting his eyes again. She pointed to the book he held in his hand. "Don't you remember the collection I own?"
He was still in a trance that they were still talking and when she raised an eyebrow, he let out a small chuckle before pointing at her neck. "And that's my scarf."
"I figured by the way you almost choked me."
"Sorry about that, it's just my mom gave it to me and it was pretty expensive. She would've killed me if I said I lost another one of scarves again," he admitted, stepping towards her.
She nodded before silence came to take another visit. She cleared her throat, trying to think of anything to clear the awkwardness. She noticed that her bookmark wasn't placed at the page she left off. "Since when do you like to read?"
He peered down at her book. "Since never," he shrugged. "It had a nice cover and I just asked myself why not?"
She giggled with her eyes closed and he couldn't help but think if he had dated a goddess. He let out a soft smile, and he felt giddy finally bringing a bit of happiness in her.
"Where you ever that beautiful?" He whispered.
"What?"
"Nothing," he coughed.
She nodded once again before looking at the shop they were standing in front of. "Do you... Do you often come here?"
He followed her gaze, and slowly nodded. "From time to time. It makes me relaxed. My comfort zone, you know?"
She didn't say anything, and he looked at her and was slightly surprised that she was staring at him. He tilted his head and she sighed. "I'm sorry. It's just I'm still kind of shaken up. I really didn't expect you to be here and after everything, I can tell you that I wasn-"
"You wanna go in?" He cut off her rambling and she gave him a look and shook her head.
"I'm sorry but you have to know that I'm still hurt. It's been a while, I know, but I still need time to... move on," she mentally winced at those two last words she said, trying to convince herself that she had to do it.
A look of confusion crossed his features. "Um, no. I wasn't planning anything on our relationship. I was just..."
She waited for his answer as he was suddenly deep in thoughts.
"I just... wanted to talk about someone who read the book. It was really interesting and since you read it, I figured why not?"
She narrowed her eyes. "C/N, you're barely 2 pages in."
"Exactly," he nodded his head, logic completely off. "That's why I need more explanations to wrap my head around the whole story of this. So how about I buy you pastries and we can talk it over?"
'Sly fox,' she thought. She knew what he was trying to do, and honestly, she couldn't do anything about it. She knew that he knew that books and food were her weakest points.
"Alright," she finally said, and the expression that sparked up his face almost melted her this instant. "But it might take some time."
He grinned. "For you, I have it all."
"Don't act too cocky now," she rolled her eyes and he opened the door for her so she could step in for the third time today.
And there they were, back to the place where they first fell in love, and all it took was his scarf neatly wrapped around her and her book safely in his hold. Maybe they didn't re-ignite the fire they once held, but they had just started a new flame, a sequel of their own series. 

A/N:
This was supposed to be a 100K celebration surprise🥇