Chapter 28: A love worth fighting for

A love worth fighting for

Penelope's POV

Napabalikwas ako ng bangon nang magising ako sa malakas na katok na naggagaling mula sa labas. Groaning, the clock says it's already past midnight and whoever is knocking at my door clearly doesn't know the fact that it's already time for sleep and he or she shouldn't be knocking as someone's door like a madman.

The person was knocking so hard I wouldn't be surprise if the neighbors will come screaming at him.

"Saglit lang." Sigaw ko at bago lumabas ng kwarto ay kumuha muna ako ng mapinis na shawl na ibinalot ko sa balikat ko dahil nakasuot lang ako ng isang manipis na silk night dress.

The knockings grew even louder and I was almost annoyed at that person behind the door.

"I'm coming!" I yelled and opened the door only too see a drunken Maddox, one arm leaning against the wall in front of him, head resting against it while one hand was about to knock once again.

"Maddox." I whispered and studied him. There was a strong smell of alcohol coming from him and I knew he had been drinking.

Raising his head, I saw that his eyes were bloodshot red. "Finally, you opened the door."

"You're drunk."

"Just a little." He tried to stand straight but he almost fell. Thankfully, he managed to balance himself by leaning against the wall.

Napapikit nalang ako sa lagay ni Maddox. I've never seen him this drunk before and I felt like crying as I watch him struggle. He looked miserable. "Maybe you should go home."

"No, I'm not going home." He stated firmly. "We need to talk, babe."

"We can talk tomorrow when your sobber." I suggested. I really don't know how to deal with a drunk person. "Where's your phone? I'm gonna call someone to drive you home."

Behind him is his sports car which is not parked properly and was almost in the middle of the road. He shouldn't have driven to my house in his state. Pano kung sa sobrang kalasingan niya ay may hindi magandang mangyari sa kanya?

"Let's talk now. Please, El?" He grabbed both my arms and begged. "I have to... I need to apologize. I.. I'm such a jerk and... and- F*ck it!" He screamed and wiped his face with his hand in frustration.

I gasped when he suddenly punched the wall beside him repeatedly until I had to stop him.

"Dammit! Dammit!" He screamed and cried as he punched the wall.

"Stop. Maddox, stop. You're hurt." I had to touch his arms to stop him as I couldn't keep all the emotions from flooding in.

I can't help but cry when I saw that his knuckles were already bleeding as Maddox sat on the ground with one knee up, both hands clutching his head. He looked...ruined.

"I know it was my father. Hindi ko alam kung anong sinabi niya sayo at nakipaghiwalay ka sa akin. Why didn't you tell me? I had to hear from someone else." He said, eyes accusing me.

"How-" Then it clicked. Who else would tell him but Luke?

"Don't listen to my father. Please naman wag mo siyang paniwalaan. Whatever he told you, it's all lies! I thought... I thought you don't love me anymore that you have someone else kaya ka nakipaghiwalay ka sa akin. I thought I was going insane and when I saw you and Luke together I just snapped." 

"I was hurt from your words, Maddox. You defended me from Sean for insulting me at the party but then you accused me the same thing." 

Nasaktan talaga ako ng labis sa mga sinabi niya. Nagalit din ako dahil hindi ko akalain na kaya niya akong sabihan ng mga ganong klaseng bagay.