Chapter 2: The Breakup

After dinner I quietly grabbed the left overs and walked up to my room. I tried to walk as lightly as I could so not to wake anyone up. Every Night I did this. It was tough since I was a 5 there was barely enough food leftover. I had to try and salvage some before it was all devoured by my family or he would starve.
  I opened my window and put the plate of leftovers on the window ledge. I swung my leg over the ledge and grabbed ahold of the ladder beneath me. I took the plate with one hand and slowly climbed down the ladder with the other.
  Once I reached the bottom I raced to the treehouse ladder Dex and I made when we were little. I climbed the treehouse ladder as fast as I could (which was hard with only one hand) making sure no one saw me breaking curfew or I'd be sure to be canned.
  When I entered the treehouse I set the plate down on the wooden table in front of me. "Fitz is that you?" I whispered. "Over here." He whispered back.
I felt arms wrap around me and I leaned back into them. Arms I knew I could trust, arms filled with warmth, arms with memories I held onto for dear life. We sat down and he whispered "Sophie you've got to stop bringing food for me." I turned around and whispered back "Fitz I love you. I could do this every day for the rest of my life if I had to." I smiled.  He sighed.
  "Sophie that's the word I hate. If you had to. I love you so much...that's why I'm setting you free." He said looking down. "Fitz No." I pulled his face closer to mine and I pressed my lips against his softly. He pressed back equally as softly afraid of hurting me, I had guessed. "Sophie we can't." He said as our lips broke apart.
  I sat up looking puzzled. "Sophie what I'm saying is, sign up for the selection if you don't I would feel like I'm taking an opportunity away from you." "Fitz no I don't love the prince! I love you!" I argued. I leaned back into his chest. "Don't do this." I whispered. He gently pushed me off of him.
"Sophie just put your name in. If you don't get picked maybe we have a chance but Sophie I can't live a lie forever." He finished. "What are you saying?" I choked out. "Sophie we're...done." He said. I burst out in tears. "Sophie I'm sorry but this is for the best." He replied lifting my chin up. "DON'T TOUCH ME!" I whisper shouted. I raced down the treehouse's ladder and up the one to my bedroom window. I jumped inside and slammed my window shut. How could he j-just break up with me?! Just like that?! He wants whats best for me! Yeah right! And that night I cried myself to sleep.