Chapter 15: The Flashback

sorry i know this is way overdue 

        Sophie slowly began to regain consciousness and struggled to open her eyes. She managed to peel them open but her vision was very spotty and she couldn't see much. Although, she could tell that she wasn't in the gardens anymore. Sophie rubbed her eyes, hoping to clear her sight but it didn't help much. 

"Oh thank goodness."

Startled, Sophie threw the covers over her head which only resulted in laughter from the mysterious voice. It did sound familiar but she couldn't put her finger on who it was just yet...

Sophie peeked out from under her blanket to see who the mystery man was. Bit by bit she saw more of their features. Brown hair, teal eyes....."Fitz?"

"Glad to see you're awake." Fitz replied. "I was about to leave, I can go get Keefe if you'd like?" He offered.

Fitz stood from the chair he was seated in, that was positioned right besides the cot in the hospital room. Before he could escape, Sophie reached out and took his hand. "Don't be like that." 

"Like what? I'm just trying to surround you with the people you love." 

Sophie groaned finally getting hit with a wave of pain that rushed up to her head. "Don't be difficult. You know I care I about you. You're the one who pushed me away. You're the one who lied to me. You're the one who turned me against my best friend for no reason."

She could tell by the look on his face that he felt bad but he still tried to get out of her grasp. "You're not getting out of this so easily." 

He took his seat once again and covered his face with his hands. With a deep sigh of defeat he started, "Look, you weren't supposed to find out."

Sophie pulled her arm back and tucked it in under the thin covers laid over her. She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "Fitz you need to tell me the whole story. Right. Now." Sophie demanded with a stern look. She was really tired of playing nice, she needed answers and the pain was making her more impatient by the second. 

Knowing that Sophie wouldn't relent Fitz gave in and told her "alright...."

~~~~~~FLASHBACK~~~~~~
*Fitz POV
He took off his helmet, done with his shift of guarding the ballroom. He was smoothing out his hair when he bumped into a guard taking his position. "Watch it!" The guard yelled.

"Sorry." Fitz apologized. It wasn't entirely his fault and usually he would put up more of a fight but today nothing could bring down his mood. Today was the evening where he, Fitz Vacker, got the chance to guard Sophie Foster's door. Even though his shift didn't start for another hour he decided to pop in and say hello. He walked, some would say skipped, up the many flights of stairs until he reached her room. Fitz was about to walk in when he heard, what was it, laughing from inside?

He cracked the door open a jar and saw Sophie doubled over from laughter. Fitz couldn't help but smile. He hadn't seen Sophie this happy in a long time. All he wanted to do was wrap her up in a big bear hug, which was his plan, until he saw who was sitting beside her.

Prince Keefe. Fitz rolled his eyes and closed the door, the moment was instantly ruined and he stormed down the hall. "Um....sir?" Spoke a soft delicate voice. He turned and behind him was one of the selected holding up his master key. 

"I think you dropped this."

Despite how furious he was, Fitz plastered on a smile and retrieved the key from the girl. "Thanks ma'am." He bowed and tipped his helmet to her. It seemed appropriate at the time but when she giggled he started to worry that only people in movies did this. 

"I'm Linh." 

"Fitz." 

Fitz knew that he could have been acting nicer towards the girl but he was just put into the worst mood. He wasn't far enough from Sophie's room and he could still hear her giggles. Linh, as observant as she was, followed his stare to her friends room and grinned.

"So, you got a crush on Sophie?" Linh smirked, which was a very rare occurrence. This pulled Fitz's attention right away.

"What. No. What?" He tried to play it off but it obviously wasn't working for him. How did this girl he'd met two minutes ago find out his secret? 

"Okay. Sure. I believe you." Linh said. Gosh, this girl was annoying.

"It's none of your business, okay?" Fitz rolled his eyes, getting pretty agitated. 

"Actually it is my business. That's my best friend in there. And you're not going to do anything to mess up her relationship with Keefe." The girl stated.

Fitz found it very hard to believe that she'd think a guard could have much of an effect on a selected's opinion on the prince. This was more than a little suspicious. "What do you me-

"Don't play dumb." She snapped. Honestly to Fitz Linh seemed like a sweet shy girl who wasn't as aggressive as she was being right now. "I know who you are. And unless you want me to go straight to the king with the information I have on you, you're going to do exactly as I say." She threatened. 

this was so short and I'm really sorry but im trying to finish up this book series.