Chapter 16: The Friend Zone

ok just so you all know this is not ending anytime soon. after this book there's gonna be another one. so don't worry this series isn't coming to an end, i'm just being really annoying and doing a terrible job at updating this series. also if you're looking for a new kotlc story i started a new one called "the prom queen" on my alt account rosewaters_ which is pretty much dedicated to all things kotlc.

sophies pov

"So that's how it started."
"Yeah..." Fitz said scratching the back of his neck. "From there Linh told me how you deserved to win the selection and that I was being selfish by telling you about how I felt."
Her heart jumped at the mention of Fitz still having feelings for her but she knew it wasn't fair to string both boys along and in the end she knew only one of them could help not just her, but her family too. She sighed and looked down at the cot she was lying in. What had she gotten herself into?
Fitz placed his hand next to her thigh on the bed and she covered it with hers. "Fitz you know I'll always love you." He looked up at her with his big sad teal eyes. She tore her eyes away from him so she could say what she need to say. "But-"
"I know." Fitz interrupted. "I can't give you the things that he can and I would be lying to say that I could." Sophie was a little surprised he knew what she was going to say but it made it easier for her to let him go.
"I think I'm ready to get up now. I didn't injure any part of my body so I feel like I'm good to go." She pointed out. All Sophie was in the hospital for was for fainting and that was probably just because of dehydration.
Fitz nodded and stood up to give her a hand. "The doctor came earlier to discharge you but you were sleeping so he told me to stay and tell you when you woke up." He explained. "Let me walk you back to your room." Fitz offered.
"That would be nice." Sophie threw back the covers and used Fitz's hand to pull herself out of the cot. She was surprised to see that her dress from earlier was still on. Sophie had assumed someone would've changed her into a hospital gown. Fitz let go of her hand and put the hat sitting on his chair behind him on. It was a silly hat really. They were tall and fuzzy and gray. Sophie smiled from the thought and started walking towards the exit. Fitz followed along behind her, which reminded Sophie that guards weren't supposed to walk right besides the selected or anyone living in the castle. This rule was often overlooked but considering their current situation, it was probably best to be safe.
When she pulled the door open Sophie recognized the hallway immediately. It was right down a very long hall from the front entrance. It looked to be a mile long, at the end of the hallway she could see the tall hats of the guards guarding the front doors. This was going to be a long walk. "You know you don't have to walk behind me right?" Sophie said as she looked behind her to take a look at Fitz. He looked pretty goofy in that hat of his.
"Better be safe than- Stop looking at my hat!" Fitz frowned reaching up as if to shield it from her eyes. His hand definitely wasn't big enough to cover it. Sophie had to try hard to hold in her laughter. She didn't know why she hadn't noticed it before. "It's part of the uniform Miss Foster. I don't have a choice in the matter." He finished then stuck his tongue out at her before she turned to face forward once again.
"Well Officer Vacker, as a selected, and a future member of the royal family, I am free to look at wherever part of you I wish." She said proudly. Until realizing that what she had said had a totally different meaning than what she was implying. Sophie's face turned as red as a rose and she started walking backwards so she could explain exactly what she meant to Fitz. "I only meant that-"
"I know what you meant Sophie." Fitz said with a smile as he shook his head. "But as a future member of the royal family." He started, imitating what she said earlier. "You might want to think a little bit more before you speak."
Sophie scowled at him and turned forward. She continued walking, increasing her speed, and wondered when the hallway would end. When Sophie looked back, they hadn't seemed to had made much progress. "Eyes forward. We wouldn't want you to trip and have to walk all they way back down this hallway." Fitz grumbled.
"Fitz, I have a question for you."
"It's Officer Vacker to you."
"Like I said, if I'm going to be royalty I'm aloud to call you whatever I want." Sophie repeated.
Fitz rolled his eyes, knowing that she was right. "Whatever princess. What's your question?"
Sophie thought over her question, wondering if it would come off as being nosy. "So you and Biana both have the same last name. I just find that a little strange. I mean Vacker isn't that common of a last name and you both look pretty similar. You have the same color eyes, hair, and like noses I guess."
Fitz sighed, closed his eyes, and pinched his nose. "It's a long story."
"I have time." Sophie jumped with an excited grin. She hadn't really thought Biana and Fitz were related. The things she pointed out were true but their personalities were so different that it was hard to really believe. She only mentioned it because they didn't have much to talk about. But now she was thrilled to hear about this.
"Not today Sophie. Not today." Fitz grumbled. Sophie frowned and they continued in silence. They were reaching the end of the hallway and were in the foyer where Tam was stationed. Beside him was a strawberry-blonde boy who was talking to him. As Sophie approached them she realized exactly who he was. She was furious. There was no way he was here. Her blood was boiling. He made her so mad. How dare he show up here after abandoning her family for years.
"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!" Sophie shouted from a few feet away. Now she was in a quick sprint in her inch long heels. When she reached the periwinkled eyed boy she used all of her force to smack her hand across his face. "HOW DARE YOU. OF COURSE NOW THAT OUR FAMILY IS DOING WELL YOU DECIDE TO SHOW UP." She yelled.
Dex turned red and started scratching the back of his neck. "Listen Sophie-"
"I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!" She interrupted. Sophie dashed up the stairs heading to her room on the second floor. Ripping open the door, she ran inside and slammed it shut. She was pissed off. Now that her family had a chance to climb 4 castes all the way to royal status, Dex was making an effort to see her again. That selfish selfish boy.
"So I assume this isn't a good time?" A voice said from behind her. Sophie, at this point, really wasn't surprised to hear another person she despised in the same day. She turned, crossed her arms, and rolled her eyes.
"What do you want Biana?!"

can someone please tell me if i already added dex? i swear i didn't but a small part of me thinks i did. so if you would be kind enough to inform your favorite author that would be very much appreciated. also go check out my new kotlc fan page!!! i'm moving my human au from this account to that one and will be updating more often there than here. for all of you asking, this is a long book. meaning that all of this kotlc selection series will be merged into this one book. thanks for reading and sorry for taking so long to update!