Chapter 3: The Photo

The next morning my mom bursted through the doors with papers in her hands. She came over and had no problem with rolling up the papers and smacking them against my head multiple times until I responded.
"What?' I asked in a grouchy mood. "Sophie I really would like it if you reconsidered this amazing opportunity." Edaline pleaded. I sighed. "Ok ok if it'll make you happy." I groaned.
"REALLY?! Sophie thank you thank you! And what perfect timing the forms are due today!" Shouted Edaline. "Also they're going to take your picture so dress nicely." Edaline added.
She left my room and I groaned. I jumped out of bed and looked in the mirror. My hair looked like a birds nest.
I walked over to my closet and pulled out my favorite cobalt blue dress and yanked it over my head. I took my brush and combed my hair so roughly I was surprised none came out.
When my hair was finally tamed down I slipped on my ballet flats with the one crystal on the tip of the shoe. I walked down the steps and managed not to trip on any. "Someone looks cheery." Said Grady. "I'm not cheery." I replied.
"Not you your mother." He responded. "Well if she hasn't told you yet I've decided to apply for the the selection." "Honey that's fantastic!" I just rolled my eyes and walked to the kitchen looking for my mom. "Alright mom let's go".
And with that we walked to our local Province Services Office. As we waited in the line I spotted Solana one of my friends from Spanish class. She was wearing pounds of makeup. "Hey Solana!" I waved. "Hey Soph." She waved back.
"Why are you wearing so much makeup?" I asked? She almost never wore makeup."Well rumor has it the king chooses the girls based on their forms and since I'm a 6 I figured I would have a better chance if I looked better." She said.
"That's true but I'm pretty sure they stopped doing that after America became queen." I answered. "You never know". She shrugged. After a while of waiting in the heat it was finally my turn. My mom handed the forms in while I got my picture taken.
"Smile real big!" Said the man behind the camera. I smiled as if I were at a funeral but behind him was a picture of a goat dressed as a bride and it made me literally fall out of my chair. Hopefully no one would have to see that photo. Talk about bad timing. The man gave me two thumbs up and I walked out with my mom. The lottery was in three days and I'm not sure the anxiety building up in my body could wait any longer.