Chapter 1

Chapter One

Present

Am... am I in heaven?

I crack open my eyes slightly, and I immediately regret it.

"What the..." I mumble to myself. As I adjust to the lighting, I notice my curtains have been swung open. Dad. I look to my right, where my beside clock is, and notice it's only 7.40am.

What kind of dad wakes up his daughter an hour before school? Might as well get up anyways, I can never go back to sleep once I've woken up.

Throwing my blanket off my body, I rush into my bathroom to brush my teeth. After all of the important stuff are done, I head to my closet and try to figure out what to where for my first day of school, and my first day back at Berkeley in over two years.

Eh, just settle with black sweats and a black t-shirt. It's like a black kinda day, you know what I mean?

After putting on my deodorant, and lining my lips with lip balm, I head downstairs. Right when I step foot into the kitchen, I open the fridge to get the orange juice.

"Emma, I already poured you a glass," Someone says behind me. A startled gasp leaves my mouth, not even realizing my dad was sitting at the table sipping black coffee while scrolling on his phone. His eyes still not meeting mine.

"Oh, thanks dad," I reply quietly. Our relationship is still on the rocks since I got back. It's not one of us, it's both of us. What happened back in Vancouver took a toll on him too. Which isn't surprising of course, it was his daughter. My sister.

Suppressing a tear that dreadfully wants to escape my dry eyes that haven't cried since the day I left, I quickly take a sip... or five of my pulp free orange juice.

Checking the time on my phone, I note how it's only 8.10am. I could leave now and get to school a little earlier.

Agreeing with my inner thought, I grab a banana from the stand, and walk to the front foyer. Grabbing my Nike Free black shoes, I quickly slide it on my feet, and grab my grey Jansport bag from the corner. I open the door a crap and look back at my only parent, "Bye dad."

The door slamming shut behind me cuts off his response.

As I walk down the two steps in front of my house, I take a quick peak at the house on my right. I wonder if he still lives there...

No! Nope. No thoughts of that ass.

I take a left and start walking to school, trying to forget about the boy next door who broke my heart.

Less than 20 minutes later, I'm right in front of Berkley High School. In grade 8, my graduating class visited the high schools we could visit close to where we live, so we first stopped at Berkley High School. I always knew I was gonna go to this school before I moved so I tried to memorize the halls, which in a way I did, but not fully.

I quickly head to the main office, checking my phone to make sure I have enough time to stop by my locker. its only 8.30am so I have 10 minutes before the first bell rings.

As I'm walking, I pull out my phone and text Anna, and Lauren to let them know I'm at school in our group chat. We honestly don't chat often, just send really funny memes. Just last night, Lauren sent us a video of a bunch of people failing at skating...

She really likes watching videos when people are in pain.

Looking back up, I see the office entrance on my left and walk in.