Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Their conversation lasted another 5 minutes before they left the bedroom.

I wanted to intervene. I did. But my legs betrayed me, making me stay put.

Which was probably for the best, anyway.

What was I gonna say? What was I gonna do? Confront them of their lies? Punch them?

All I could do was sit back, and listen to the conversation they probably wanted me to listen to.

It was a joke.

A lie.

Everything they said was lies.

And because of their lies, it ended up with me crying for the first time since I returned to this damn town.

"She should know, shouldn't she? Her mom said she told Jessica, so maybe she told Emma?"

"I doubt it Jason, she seems pretty clueless. Not anything new."

"If Jessica knows, so does she. I know it."

I choked back on a sob, trying to will my tears to stop, but this led to them spilling out more.

They don't deserve to speak about her. Or my mom.

I was doing fine. Perfect. Just perfect. Why did they have to ruin that?

Why did they force me to listen to that conversation about my sister, about my mom, as a part of a prank?

What feels like hours later, my eyes finally stopped producing tears.

Standing up, I dust myself off and leave the room, only to face the beating music.

I guess I wasn't in there for too long.

Jogging downstairs, I text the girls in our group chat that I'm heading home and that they can stay over if they wanna avoid seeing their parents drunk.

Once I've reached my front door, Anna texted saying she'd be over soon.

Responding with an okay, I rush upstairs into my bedroom, and open my nightstand.

Once I've found what I'm looking for, I sit down on my bed silently.

A tear slowly starts traveling down my cheek, and I quickly swipe it off before it reaches my chin.

I put the photo of me, Jessica and mom on the bed beside me and release a shaky breath.

I was doing fine. No, I'm still fine. I'm even better actually. I'm great.

I put the photo of us back inside and slam it shut. Plastering a smile on my face, I begin to walk to the bathroom.

True to her words, Anna arrived less than an hour later. I didn't speak the whole night, but I knew she wanted to ask me what was wrong.

The next morning her brother picked her up, leaving me with my own thoughts.

"You're a witch."

"She should know."

"If Jessica knows, so does she."

Shaking my head, I try to remove all my thoughts about their conversation, only to end up failing.

So I decided to put Google onto the test.