Chapter 13

Chapter 13

After school, I decided to kill some time and head to Anna's house with Lauren.

Of course, imagine my surprise when I found her older brother sprawled on the couch with a bucket of popcorn while watching Dear John.

All three of us laugh as we run upstairs, hearing the explanations roll out of his tongue from below us.

Throughout the evening, we made it official that we will be going to the carnival tomorrow closer to night time with Jason and Dylan.

Lauren casually asked if I was going to invite Adam along with us, but I shrugged at the idea.

I'm sure he has found someone else to go with, anyways.

For Lucas, however, that's a different story.

When I got back home that night, I spoke with Jason on the phone as he explained his reasons to why he doesn't want to see Lucas at the carnival.

Me, being the supportive friend I am, agreed to what he was saying, and chose to not invite him with us all tomorrow.

But, some weird feeling in my stomach disagreed otherwise.

I'm woken up on Saturday by a ring flooding my house.

Fluttering my eyes open, I check the time on my nightstand and find that it's 11.47am.

"Shit," I mumble under my breath as I hop out of bed.

I check myself in the mirror, and quickly put my messy hair into a bun on top of my head.

I rush down the stairs while rubbing my face, and before I know it, I'm in front of the entrance, opening the front door.

Someone zooms past me, and I widen my eyes. "He's such a child!" I hear Jason say as he passes by me.

I sigh softly, and shut the door. Turning around, I find Jason leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. He clenches his jaw, and turns his head the other direction.

"What happened now?" I ask cautiously as I'm walking up to him slowly.

He scoffs. "What hasn't he done by now?"

I go on the other side of the wall, and lean back. I wait a couple more seconds to see if Jason's going to add anything else.

My assumptions turn out to be correct when his eyes connect with mine. "I tried being the bigger person. I called him 3 times. It rings, but then it stops! He's ignoring my calls."

He scoffs a second time, and begins pacing in front of me. "Unbelievable," he growls under his breath.

He continues pacing until a thought passing through his brain, leading him to stand in front of me with a serious look on his face.

"He distances himself from me, and gets closer to Adam. Gets into 2 fights. One of them involving one of his best friends. Knocks you in the face," he pauses and runs his hand down his face.

"I don't know what to do Em," he says sadly once he's dropped his hand.

I guess Lucas doesn't know how to follow advice.

Not knowing what to do in the moment, I go on my tippy toes, and wrap my arms around his neck. I hug him tightly. "I'm sorry Jase," I move my head away from his chest so I'm looking at him. "You shouldn't pay attention to him. He doesn't deserve your attention."

He purses his lips, and looks the other direction.

I slowly remove my hands off of him, and shove him on the shoulder. "Come on, let's go to my room."