Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"Emma, sweetheart," someone calls.

My eyes flutter open, adjusting to the bright light in the room.

Once my eyes are used to the lighting, I widen my eyes, finding her right in front of me, tears spilling out of her eyes with no pause.

"M-mom?" I take a step forward, wanting to touch her, feel her warmth.

"Listen baby, we don't have much time," she croaks out, whipping her tears away.

I furrow my eyebrows. Not much time?

I finally take in my mom's appearance. She's wearing a lovely white dress that ends at her feet. Her hair is braided so elegantly, and I suddenly miss how she used to do my hair.

"Where are we mom?" I ask quietly, looking around a room that has white walls, flooring, and furniture.

"Somewhere where no one can hear us," she cups my cheek - the one that was hit - but quickly drops her hand like my touch was burning her.

I'm about to interrupt her again, but she raises her hand, silencing me.

"Honey. I'm not-I'm not here for pleasure. I need to warn you baby," she starts to tear up again and I look at her in fear.

"Warn me from what?" I ask slowly.

"I'm so sorry I never told you. I was going to tell you, I swear. But I never thought he was capable-" she stops talking, and shuts her eyes tightly.

"Who was capable? You... you mean you know who crashed into us? They did it on purpose?" I ask, wide eyed, but she stays silent.

She opens her eyes, and I feel like I'm staring into my own eyes. "Honey, I wasn't honest with you about a lot of things. But I was honest about one thing. My love for you. And how I would always protect you."

She stops, and laughs softly, hitting me hard in my heart. "I guess that's 2 things."

Sighing, she continues. "I can't tell you much. I wish I could. But I can tell you one thing," she clenches her jaw before continuing. "Stay away from Lucas Scott. He's no good, honey. You can't trust him."

I widen my eyes at her accusation. "Mom... where is this coming from?"

She doesn't answer, and I speak a little louder. "Mom, tell me what's going on!"

Suddenly, her head shoots to the side, as if she's hearing something from a great distance.

Mom looks at me seconds later, and she rushes up to me. Grasping my shoulders, she pulls me into a hug. "I love you baby. Remember, don't trust anyone. Especially those who recently came into your life."

Before I can remember her warmth, I wake up.

Gasping for breath, I clench my shirt that's over my heart, which is beating rapidly.

I-it felt so real.

I touch my bruised cheek, remembering how she held it so carefully, softly.

A tear escapes my eye, and I viciously wipe it away.

Deciding to forget about my dream for now, I choose to get ready for school.

Thank goodness it's Friday.

Once I'm in dark denim jeans and a navy blue v neck t-shirt, I tuck in the shirt into my jeans and head downstairs.

I lock up my house, assuming my dad went to work early again, and am entering Jason's house in less than a minute.