Chapter 14

Chapter 14

3 days pass since the carnival on Saturday.

Sunday was catching up day, which really means doing some last minute homework I forgot to complete.

Monday consisted of me shattering lots of stuff in a empty science room during lunch as Jason was teaching me more techniques on how to control my magic.

Thank goodness he has the ability of putting things back together.

I wake up Tuesday morning slightly earlier, but decide to just get up — God knows if I close my eyes for one second, I'll wake up 10 years later.

After leaving the bathroom, I put on some black leggings, and a dark blue sweater.

Just as I'm slipping on some socks, my phone rings from my nightstand.

"Hello?" I say through the phone once I've picked up.

"Hey Sunshine," Adam slurs from the other side.

I roll my eyes, but can't stop the smile from peaking out. "Yes Adam?"

"Get ready. I'm driving you," he states, and I furrow my eyebrows.

"Why?"

"Because I want to Sunshine! I'll be there in less than 5 minutes," he says before he hangs up.

What the hell?

I sit down on my bed, and begin texting Jason.

Emma: Hey, so Adam just told me he's picking me up. That good with you?

He responds seconds later.

Jason: Are you kidding? Tell him to take you for the rest of the semester! Maybe then I don't have to wait a decade for you ass to show up on my front doorstep.

Emma: Hey! I'm not always late.

Jason: Tell that to our first period teacher.

Emma: Shut up.

Jason sends me a wink after that, so I shut off my phone and head downstairs.

Once I'm at the last step, I hear something coming from the kitchen that I don't often hear anymore.

My dad. Humming.

I stand still on the last step, and shut my eyes tightly. Oh God, why now?

Last time me and my dad faced each other was a week and a half ago, when I got back from my picnic slash hike with Adam.

I wish my bruise was still on my face just to torment him.

I walk down the last step quickly, but apparently not quiet enough because his head shoots up as if I dropped a vase on the ground.

We both stare at each other, no emotion passing through neither one of us.

I decide to move first.

I move my eyes away from him as if he doesn't exist, and go to the fridge to grab some grapes.

I rinse about 7 in the sink, and lean against the counter as I'm munching on them.

I stare at my father for about a minute before he breaks.

"Why are you still looking at me?" Dad says, sounding frustrated as he looks away from his laptop.

I shrug casually. "Just trying to think of what kind of father you are," a grin spreads on my face before I can contain it. "I wonder what Jessica and mom would think about this new behavior."