Chapter 41

Chapter 41

My eyes meet his brown ones, and before he could even react to seeing me here, I looked between Lauren and Anna.

"I... I have to go," I said quickly, but before they said anything, I bolted to the first hallway I saw on my left before sprinting down it.

After zig-zagging through many people, I ran upstairs so I was on the third floor, but before I could reach one of the doors that I assumed was my first period class, someone suddenly moved so they were standing in front of me.

I bounced off of their hard chest and stumbled on my feet before straightening my stance to meet Lucas' intense, icy blue eyes.

"What's going on Hope?" He asked worriedly, and I forced a scoff.

"What are you talking about?" I said, ignoring that I was running down the hall like a monkey with two left feet.

His brows furrowed as he looked over my shoulder, probably trying to find what I was running from.

Or in this case, who I was running from.

"Why were you running like a mad man?" Lucas asked slowly, and I bit my lower lip as I prepared for another lie.

"Just wanted to make sure I got here before first period began," I explained with a bright smile, but by the way he looks at me with disbelief, I knew he didn't believe me.

Lucas sighed before looking to the jam packed hall. Without another word, he moved me closer to the lockers so we were further away from any listening ears.

"Tell me the truth, Hope," he whispered as he bent down so his face was close to me.

My eyes tightly closed before I forced them open with a smile on my lips. "Everything's good, Luke. No worries."

Lucas sighed, ready to protest more, but was cut off by the warning bell. I grinned internally, happy that he wouldn't have to push any further.

His gaze traveled around my face before settling once more on my eyes. Lucas smiled lazily. "What class do you have now?"

"Biology, you?" I asked, and his features brightened before he began to smirk.

I couldn't help but chuckle. "You too?" I asked, and he nodded slowly.

We both began walking to the opposite side of the hall, which I now noticed was where our biology class was.

As we were walking next to each other silently, I smiled at the memory of Lucas telling me that he would love to be a veterinarian.

When we stopped in front of our classroom door, it was wide open, letting us see the several people that have already been seated.

"Quick," I hissed before lacing our fingers together.

Although I noticed other girls around us were eyeing our hands that were now linked together, I didn't bother to spare them another glance before picking the two desks that are standing side by side by the far end of the classroom.

Although I wanted to sit against the wall, Lucas protested before taking that seat for himself, making me sit right outside the isle.

By the time everyone in the class was seated, the teacher by the front of the class clapped his hands. "Alright class, my name's Mr. Gilbert and I'll be your biology teacher for the rest of the semester."

For the first little bit, we played a few name games — as if I didn't know everyone here already.

Most of them were in my Chemistry class last semester with Lucas last semester so it wasn't hard to connect the dots.