Chapter 42

Chapter 42

The next few days consisted of me ignoring Alec Bennett's presence when he sat with our group outside.

To this day, I don't understand why he doesn't take the hint and get a new group of friends.

Thankfully, when nightfall came, I could sleep peacefully in the room that Daniella had told me to call my own.

Of course, when you're living in the Valentine residence, there is no such thing as peace.

"Wake up fat ass," Jason grunted as he threw himself on top of me, landing on my stomach.

My eyes flew open as a startled gasp left me. "I..."

I struggled to form any words with him pressing hard against my stomach.

Jason rolled on top of me until his eyes met mine. "Love you?"

My jaw clenched just as I pressed my hands on his stomach. In seconds, he flew across the room, landing on the carpet with a thud.

Quickly, I grabbed the bottle of water from my night stand before drowning most of it. I ignored the distaste in my mouth, and cursed at my stupidity for drinking water before brushing my teeth.

"No," I clenched my jaw. "What I was gonna say was that I'm gonna give you until the count of five to get your fat ass off of me."

Jason smirked before standing up on his own two feet. "You love me," he stated as a matter of fact before walking in the direction of the front door.

"I really don't," I shouted back, but when I heard his laugh echo down the hall, I couldn't help but smile.

Once I got out of bed, I quickly closed the door — something Jason was incapable of doing, apparently — before heading to the connected bathroom.

After a little more than ten minutes had passed, I was dressed in some light wash jeans and a light mint tee shirt.

Too colorful for my taste, but I needed to do laundry.

As I was jogging down the stairs, I scrolled through my messages on my phone, seeing texts from the group chat with Lauren and Anna, and a private message from Alyssa.

Nothing from Lucas. Which wasn't surprising anymore.

When I reached the bottom floor, I grinned happily, remembering how it was Friday. Before I could relish in said happiness, Jason came and burst my bubble.

"Why are you smiling like the guys from Truth or Dare?" Jason asked as he was eating by the kitchen table, and I threw him a glare.

"For your information, I'm just happy it's Friday," I replied as I opened up the fridge, examining what's inside.

Jason's laugh made me clench my jaw, already mentally preparing myself to hear his retort of some kind.

As it's well aware of by now, you can get very annoyed by your best friend when you're living in their house for more than a month.

"It's Thursday, dumb ass," he said, and I groaned as I slammed the fridge shut, immediately not having any energy to eat food.

"That's cool," I grumbled as I grabbed my school bag from the corner of the kitchen.

Jason laughed once more, but I was too emotionally drained to choke him.

After we threw on our running shoes, we headed to his car in silence, and I sighed in content from not having to hear him mock me.

"Don't be so sad, Em," Jason said softly as we drove down our street.

I puffed out my cheeks before releasing the air I had stuck in my mouth. "I just hate false hope," I sighed.