Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Just like Rachel Green, I'm a pushover.

Well on the brink of being one anyway.

On Thursday, Anna begged and begged me to come with her to go shopping, but I believe I held my own before I cracked.

She was making me feel really bad.

Lauren threatening to take my Kindle and smash it into pieces with a 10 pound sledge hammer did not change my decision at all.

So today, the day before the party, I'm gonna go shopping and not even shop for myself.

Fun.

Once I've brushed my teeth, I walk over to my dresser and pull out a pair of black leggings and a light blue t-shirt.

I pull on the elastic that kept my hair in a tight bun, resulting in my hair cascading down my shoulders.

My hair seems to look nice today, so I decide to just let it down for the day.

Plus, I'm too lazy to do anything with it.

Checking my clock, I realize I'm a couple of minutes early before my dad begins to call me down.

At that thought, I go down the stairs. Halfway down, I pause when I spot my dad taking out the orange juice from the fridge.

Just as he's finished pouring it into a glass, I'm about to continue walking until I see him pull something out of his suit pocket.

Looking more closely, I realize it's a clear round glass bottle, with a dropper and clear liquid inside.

He unscrews the cap, and drops exactly 3 drops inside of the orange juice. Once it's closed, he puts it back in his pocket, and begins stirring the cup with a spoon.

A million questions starts pooling in.

Has he been putting something in my drink this whole time?

What's in the bottle?

How long has he been doing this?

"Emma! You up yet?" My dad shouts once he's finished preparing my orange juice. Or whatever it is now.

Clenching my jaw, I stomp downstairs, ready to confront him. What could that thing possibly be?

Once I'm near the kitchen, the doorbell rings, stopping my tracks. I look between my dad, who's now sitting at the table, reading on his phone and the door.

Deciding on not to keep the person behind the door waiting, I walk up to open it. I'll confront my dad later.

To my surprise, Lauren's on my front porch with a huge grin on her face. "Let's go hoe! I'm driving today!"

I'm about to decline, because last time I was in a moving vehicle with my dear friend, she almost hit a women with a baby. But considering how I don't want to speak to my dad about his actions, or drink what has known to be my favorite drink. I decide to accept her offer.

Trying to conceal my nervousness, I slowly nod and smile. "Okay, let me just grab my bag."

Looking back into the kitchen, I notice my dad is still engrossed by whatever he's doing on his phone.

I quickly put on my black toms, and grab my school bag from the corner.

"Bye Dad!" I shout just before I close the door.

I wish I could see the shocked look on his face.

Once I'm seated in the passenger seat of Lauren's navy blue 2011 Lexus ES 350, I see my house door swing open, revealing my dad's shocked expression.