Chapter 38

Chapter 38

I spent at least five minutes cradling Lucas' head to my chest, rocking back and forth while Jason stood silently behind me.

"I'm so sorry," I cried, my tears falling freely onto his chest.

Lucas' eyes were closed shut, not even fluttering by the looks of it, but I couldn't stop talking as though he was listening.

"I'm sorry for everything. I should have told you I loved you. Because I do, you jerk, I love you and now I can't even tell you," I sobbed, pressing my head into the crook of his neck.

"Emma..." Jason whispered with a hoarse voice. "We have to get out of this place as quick as possible."

"I know," I whispered with a nod, but looked back down to Lucas. "Just a few more minutes," I said as another tear of mine dropped to Lucas' chest, and I brushed away some of his hair.

I lie my head onto his chest, wishing that I could hear a heart beat.

However, as I began to feel a flutter of energy rushing through me, I started to hear a heart beat slightly.

My eyes widened, and I pressed my ear harder, hoping that I was just imagining it, but when a few seconds passed and it started again, I lifted my head up before covering my mouth.

"What?" Jason asked worriedly.

Slowly, Lucas' eyes began to flutter open, and his icy blue eyes were filled with confusion as they met mine.

"Lucas?" I whispered in disbelief before looking to his chest.

Without a second thought, I ripped open his shirt, revealing no wound from the bullet.

"Oh my God," I laughed happily, covering my mouth with my hand as a smile grew enormously on my lips.

I swam down and dived my arms around him, possibly giving him the tightest hug I have ever given anybody in existence.

Slowly, he wrapped his arms around me, and his surprisingly warm arms made me sigh in relief.

He's okay.

"How..." I lifted my head up. "How did this happen?" I whispered, mostly to myself.

"It's you," Jason said behind me quietly, and I turned around with my brows furrowed.

"What is me?"

"You're the healer," he explained. "Like your father said. One's a healer. The other causes total destruction."

My eyes slowly moved back to Lucas, and his eyebrows furrowed as he slowly sat up with my help.

"What the hell happened guys?" Lucas whispered roughly.

I sucked in a harsh intake of air. "Anthony... he didn't like my idea, so he ordered the hunter to... kill you," I whispered.

Lucas' brows furrowed. "What was your idea?"

Although I wasn't looking at Jason, I knew he was glaring daggers to me. "For her to die instead of me," Jason snarled, and I sighed, waiting to hear what Lucas had to say about that.

My eyes were cast downward, however, when I felt Lucas' warm hand cup my cheek, my eyes looked up to see that his icy blue eyes were locked on me.

"You're so stupid," he shook his head as he drew his finger up and down my cheekbone.

Before I could appreciate his touch, the door was thrown open behind me, and I turned around quick, shielding Lucas with my body as I was doing so.