Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I'm woken up Friday with a slight breeze easing through the crack from my windows I left open last night.

Slightly shivering, I flutter my eyes open to look at my clock, which rests on my nightstand.

Once I see it's 6.57am, I decide to just wake up now — it's not like I'll go back to sleep anyways.

I sit up, ready to go to the bathroom to freshen up when a scream erupts from me.

In the corner of my room, I find Lucas leaning against my wall.

"What the living hell are you doing here!" I whisper loudly as I sit up higher so I'm resting back against the headboard.

"Was planning on scaring you, but I thought me just standing here would be scary enough," he smirks, and I narrow my eyes immediately at his confession.

"You really are Satan's child, aren't you?" I ask, dead serious.

Instead of answering, he sighs and takes two long strides before he's by the head of my bed.

He flops down on my left so he's resting on his stomach on my. Fucking. Bed.

My mouth opens, ready to shout out a bunch of curses when Lucas turns his head to me, letting me see some emotions he usually closes off to people. "You ready for tonight?" He asks, indicating my date with Adam.

And by date, I mean me being Sherlock Holmes and trying to find any evidence of his and Jasmine's tasks. Or even who they're working for.

Realizing I didn't respond, I clear my throat and look up to my ceiling to avoid his intense gaze.

"Yeah I guess. I haven't thought about it as much honestly." Or at least I try not to.

Lucas doesn't say anything for a while, so I look down to see his eyes still on me.

I'm so used to his icy blue gaze, that I'm completely shocked when I see a hint of worry in his eyes.

I furrow my brows slightly, but before I can ask him what's wrong, he speaks. "Jason and I are gonna be outside his house and around the corner the whole time," he says, relieving me from the constant fear I was having about tonight.

A weight feels like it's suddenly lifted off of my shoulders, and I smile softly. "Thanks Luke," I whisper, licking my lips at the sound of his nickname I used to give him that is so foreign to me now.

Lucas opens his mouth to speak when my phone by my nightstand rings.

"You better be up Emma Sullivan!" Jason shouts once I pick up on the third ring.

"Well I answered didn't I?" I raise my eyebrows even though he can't see me.

He scoffs. "Like that stopped you before? You answered when I called but apparently fell back asleep — which is totally messed up because you can't... or so you claim," he gasps dramatically and I roll my eyes.

"You're so weird Valentine. Now let me change, I'll be there soon," I reassure and he scoffs again before hanging up.

"I'm not that bad, am I?" I ask and Lucas sits up as he chuckles.

"Sure Princess, whatever helps you sleep at night."

Lucas, swings his long legs off of the bed, and stands up. He looks over his shoulder and smirks. "See you downstairs."

I wave awkwardly just as he turns back around to leave.

Lucas shuts the door behind him without looking back, and when he does, I release a loud sigh.